What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US iPad - Travel to Canada

JWKessler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Verizon 3G iPad 2 and we are planing to spend a couple of days north of the border this coming week. I'm wondering if the 3G service will be usable in Canada? I'm new at this 3G stuff so I'm hoping someone here has more experience with this.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Renzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No Canada use gsm so you need an AT&T ipad2

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Bruce S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JWKessler, check with your provider for roaming in Canada. From what little I know iPads sold in US are locked to the provider and come with micro-sim already instaled. iPads sold in Canada are not locked and the provider / micro sim is installed by the owner. Through a bunch of rigmunro there is a way a Canadian can get AT&T micro sim from a US Walmart and use the iPad in US. There are alot of posts made arround the beinging of this year about this topic, hopfully you can find them, they may help you.
You could stoop to using free WiFi, there is a free App. called Free Wi-Fi Finder that will help.

PS I should have read through the sticky "Travelling With iPad" your answer is there.

Last edited:
OP
J

JWKessler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PS I should have read through the sticky "Travelling With iPad" your answer is there.

I should have checked that myself! Thanks for letting me know it's there.

I chose Verizon because they seem to have better coverage in my area - though of course I don't need coverage at home - duh!

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a Canuck who travels with his blackberry and laptop down south a lot, let me say...Starbucks and McDonald's are your friends! :D

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Verizon 3G iPad 2 and we are planing to spend a couple of days north of the border this coming week. I'm wondering if the 3G service will be usable in Canada? I'm new at this 3G stuff so I'm hoping someone here has more experience with this.

Contrary to common belief, Verizon is available in Canada in some areas...here's the coverage map...

CDMA Data Roaming

Tim

OP
J

JWKessler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Contrary to common belief, Verizon is available in Canada in some areas...here's the coverage map...

CDMA Data Roaming

Tim

Thanks for that! Now I wonder how that works with the iPad data plan? I guess when I go there I'll test it.

Jglandau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Verizon iPad 2. Verizon does offer a roaming data plan, but the cost is absurd at $100 per 200MB. Use the Free Wifi Finder App, Starbucks and McDonalds. Many hotels have free wifi in the lobby too. I also found lots of unsecured wifi connections walking the streets in Vancouver last month... Even YVR offered free wifi.

OP
J

JWKessler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Verizon iPad 2. Verizon does offer a roaming data plan, but the cost is absurd at $100 per 200MB. Use the Free Wifi Finder App, Starbucks and McDonalds. Many hotels have free wifi in the lobby too. I also found lots of unsecured wifi connections walking the streets in Vancouver last month... Even YVR offered free wifi.

I guess I won't test it after all! Thanks for the warning!

nursedude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want 3G up here you can get 5GB of data from Bell for about $35, Telus offers 500MB for 20 bucks. Factor in a micro SIM card (approx$10) and taxes and you're looking at 35 - 50 dollars. You have to sign up for 30 days but can cancel when it RNA out. As earlier posters have suggested...free wifi is a much better option.

OP
J

JWKessler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want 3G up here you can get 5GB of data from Bell for about $35, Telus offers 500MB for 20 bucks. Factor in a micro SIM card (approx$10) and taxes and you're looking at 35 - 50 dollars. You have to sign up for 30 days but can cancel when it RNA out. As earlier posters have suggested...free wifi is a much better option.

It seems like that will only work for AT&T iPads. My Verizon iPad has no SIM slot.

Most reactions