What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading to IPAD Pro 10.5, what email to use?

mikeswife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! I'm upgrading my IPAD to an IPAD Pro 10.5. Super excited! This is probably a silly question, but should I use the same email to set the new one up? Hubby & I will still be using the old one as well. Any benefits to using a different email address? Benefits to using the same? Thanks!

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are refering to your Apple ID, you should keep the same one, as your Apps, etc. will be linked to it.

Last edited:
OP
M

mikeswife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Pictures could come over as well I think. I'm going from a 64 to a 264? so much more memory as well. I just didn't know if I would get more cloud storage if I started a whole new account? Thanks!

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can’t have two Apple IDs. Your husband could have a separate account. You can purchase more iCloud space.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You get 5 GB of free iCloud storage for every iCloud account you set up. It’s possible to use the same Apple ID on all Apple devices for the App Store and the iTunes Store, and a different iCloud ID for every person.
That way, you still have access to apps, music, movies, ... purchased with the Apple ID you use together.

Changing the iCloud ID affects everything tied to the ID: Photos, Safari bookmarks and passwords, notes, reminders, backups, .. The one with the new iCloud ID can’t use backups made with the old iCloud ID, and it would be necessary for the one still using the same ID to share the photos with the other one, just as an example.

OP
M

mikeswife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for explaining this. I think I will just stick with my old apple and iCloud id's then for the smoothest transition. I would like everything to come over to the new IPAD. I finally got my husband using it, he has some apps just for him, likes to look through the pics. and he is used to it just so. I'm going to be using the old one for my work. iCloud storage isn't that big a deal to me. Just didn't want to lose out!

OP
M

mikeswife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Goodness, I'm going over this again now that I'm off working 14 days straight and I'm about to finally set up my new IPAD Pro and I think I should use my same Apple ID and create a new ICloud ID. This way I could get the extra 5GB cloud storage, my apps will come over and I can photo share the pics we would like to come over? I think I'm processing this correctly?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Almost everything. The photos are tied to the original ID. They have to be shared with you, as they won’t be restored from a backup or synced by iCloud.

Most reactions