What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading to iOS 7 and I keep getting error 24

norsepower

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade my Verizon iPad 2 to iOS 7 and I keep getting error 24. Initially I tried doing it over WIFI, but when it rebooted it went directly to recovery mode. I didn't think too much about it because I thought that was fairly common, so I hooked it up to my computer and whenever it almost gets done updating, iTunes throws error 24 and it won't finish. I haven't been able to find much on what that error actually is. I've tried updating it on a windows computer, a Mac, I've tried different cables and nothing. This iPad was in no way shape or form ever jailbroken. I'm really hoping I don't have a brick here from an update

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade my Verizon iPad 2 to iOS 7 and I keep getting error 24. Initially I tried doing it over WIFI, but when it rebooted it went directly to recovery mode. I didn't think too much about it because I thought that was fairly common, so I hooked it up to my computer and whenever it almost gets done updating, iTunes throws error 24 and it won't finish. I haven't been able to find much on what that error actually is. I've tried updating it on a windows computer, a Mac, I've tried different cables and nothing. This iPad was in no way shape or form ever jailbroken. I'm really hoping I don't have a brick here from an update

Hello norsepower and welcome to the forum. Make sure you have disabled all firewall/security precautions on your computer and also that you are using the latest version of iTunes for the update (sorry if you are way ahead of me and have already done that:))
Incidentally, I've deleted your other identical post in the iPad Hacking section as our rules frown upon what they term hijacking of a thread, and duplicated questions do tend to fragment any responses from members.
Let's know how you get on with the above suggestion. And if no go there are cluey members here always willing to assist.
Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

OP
N

norsepower

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, yes I checked the firewall and have completely re downloaded itunes multiple times on multiple computers and keep getting error 24. I believe I'm stuck with a paperweight now

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I looked through the help at Apple...
Be sure to have latest iTunes:

• Windows: Choose Help > Check for Updates.
  • Mac: Choose iTunes > Check for Updates.
I found this interesting:
[h=2]Unplug extra USB devices.[/h]Keep only your iOS device, keyboard, and mouse plugged in directly to your computer.

[h=2]Restart.[/h]Turn off your computer and your iPad, and turn them on again.

You said: "
Initially I tried doing it over WIFI." This is where the problem began. Be sure that you have the latest iTunes and System Software and use a cable to connect your iPad. Hold down the home and off buttons and restore two more times.
If all else fails: https://www.apple.com/support/contact/

jd4020

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same issue here. iPad 2 - Verizon. Loads software and completes firmware. Then error 24. I've tried multiple PC's, Mac, Laptop, with multiple internet connections. All with the same result, can't get it to finalize the installation

Jon

CindyH65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does this mean I cannot update via wifi? My husbands' iPad will not update to 7.1.1 but there is no error message or error number. Face Time will not work either and we have been wondering if it is a result of the update issue. He never tried to use the Face Time prior to trying to update to 7.1.1, so don't know if this is the problem. I try to figure this stuff out on my own by reading but have no clue how to get this update to run.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does this mean I cannot update via wifi? My husbands' iPad will not update to 7.1.1 but there is no error message or error number. Face Time will not work either and we have been wondering if it is a result of the update issue. He never tried to use the Face Time prior to trying to update to 7.1.1, so don't know if this is the problem. I try to figure this stuff out on my own by reading but have no clue how to get this update to run.
Hi, welcome to iPF!

The FaceTime problem depends on the software installed on the iPad. If it's 7.0.4 or later, this feature should work.
Could you please provide more information: is the device jailbroken or is it a stock iPad? Which software version is installed? What did you try to update to the latest version?

CindyH65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello and thanks! It's my husbands' iPad. I don't even know where to go to find the software version? He bought it new and I also don't know anything about ''jailbreaking''. I know he didn't do it and I haven't either, so am I safe to say it is not ''Jailbroken''? Sorry for being so dense on the subject, but I have looked on his settings to find a ''version'' but couldn't seem to find where it would be. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe I should search the forum first, don't want to bug anyone if an answer is out there, lol. Also, all I did to update was go to the settings, ''General'' and then update. It went through the process, it took maybe 10-15 minutes to go through its stuff and said it was in the process of finalizing (not the exact words), then it popped a screen that said it could not be updated. No error code. =(

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll find the version in Settings - General - About:

image-2083406254.jpg

That's the software.
Did the popup tell any reason why it couldn't be updated? Not enough storage, e.g., or something else.
Error codes can occur when the iPad is connected to iTunes on a computer. You tried to update over the air (using Wi-Fi). That's different.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts