What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updating the OS on a Different Computer

gekkota

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is still running OS 3.2 and I want to update the OS. I don't have access to my own computer, so I want to update the OS using my sister's Mac. I've read everything I can find on this issue, and I am still confused.
I don't want to sync all my stuff to her Mac--I only want to update the OS.

I have downloaded many apps directly to my ipad via wifi, and these apps have never been synced to my own computer because i dont have access to it. If i am updating the OS using my sister,s Mac and a box appears that asks me if I want to "transfer purchases," should I check yes or no? If I check no, will my apps disappear from my iPad? I don't really want to transfer purchases to her computer, do I? Not sure what to do here...

Prior to updating the OS, should I make a "backup" on her computer in case something goes wrong?
I really hope someone can give me a little advice here. The more I google for answers the more confused I get! Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope I don't raise your hopes by leading you to think that I've got a solution to your problem. I just wanted to offer a word of warning - something I guess you don't really need - but don't rush into this. From reading similar posts to yours on the Forum over the last couple of months it seems to me the concensus is that you should only ever sync to one computer.

I'm sure that there are Forum members out there who will be able to help you but I just thought a word of warning might prevent you from 'rushing into this' and regretting it later.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't recommend it if there is any way you can wait until you get back to your own computer. If you do decide to go ahead, the process is going to be pretty much the same as moving to a new computer. And you are going to have to do it twice. Once to set up on you sister's computer, and again when you get back to your own.

First, the smartest thing you can do is set up you own user account on her computer, with your own log in. This will keep your from messing with her iTunes library. I will also be easier to remove all your stuff from her computer when you are done.

When you've done that and logged on as you, open iTunes, go to the preferences, Devices, and turn off auto-sync. It's a checkbox under the device list (which should be empty).

Make sure you are using the most recent version of iTunes. It should be version 10.2.1. You can check in under the File menu, About.

Now hook up your iPad. It will probably say something about erasing your stuff (say no) and Transferring you Purchases. You are going to want to do the second, just incase something goes wrong and you need to recover.

So, go to the Files menu and choose Transfer Purchases From. . . This can take quite a while, depending on what you've got on the iPad. If you're looking at a nearly maxed out 32 GB iPad, we are talking hours.

When you've done that, find your device in the list window to the left and right click on it. Do a Backup. Again, depending on what is on your iPad, this can take some major time.

To be safe, also go into the Store menu and Authorize the computer. You'll need to be signed into your account in iTunes. Be sure to remember to go back here and Deauthorize the computer before you remove your stuff from the computer and go home. It uses up on of the 5 averrable authorization slots. You can recover it later if your forget, but it's a pain.

When that is finished, you can finally allow the iPad to sync with and be associated with the iTunes library. All this was necessary, so that if something goes wrong you'll be able to recover your iPad.

Now, with the iPad plugged in go to the summary tab and check of updates. When it says an update is available choose to just download it. This frees up you iPad for use in the mean time, and prevents the update from happening until you are ready.

When the download is done you are ready to update the iPad.

Make sure the iPad has a reasonable charge.
Make sure all connections are secure.
Make sure the computer is plugged into power, and not likely to shut down in the middle of things.

Start the upgrade. For not reason short of total failure and multiple reboots of the iPad should you disconnect it before it is finished. It should only take about 15 minutes, but I would not interrupt it unless it's been more than an hour without finishing.

When your iPad is nicely updated, you can remove the account and your iTunes library on your sister's computer, or leave it until later. Just remember to go back in and deathorize the computer before you remove it.

When you go home to your computer you are going to have to go through everything but the update and authorization process again.Make sure you've updated iTunes to the current version there too.

Each time you do this the iPad associates with the new computer. It will not remember the old computer. It wasn't designed to sync with more than one computer and iTunes library at a time.

Disclaimer: This procedure should work, to the best of my knowledge. My knowledge is not infinite. You'll probably run into details that you have to figure out for yourself. I don't have the resources to duplicate the proceedure, so I am unable to actually do a step by step set of instructions. I'm working from memory and how things are supposed to work. If you can find a more reputable source of procedures (and almost anything online would be more reputable) use them.

Also, if you do this and it works or not, let me know and the what happened and anything you think would help the next person. That way I can at least not give bad advice twice, or hopefully improve on good advice.

Last edited:
OP
gekkota

gekkota

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, twerppoet. I really appreciate the time you put into your response. It sounds a lot more involved than I was hoping it would be, especially for a techno-idiot like myself! I was hoping I could just plug my iPad into my sister's computer, check for updates, and voilà! A new OS would suddenly appear on my iPad.

I am kind of stuck on the "transfer purchases" concept. Do I HAVE to transfer the purchases? Will it let me update without doing that? I am trying to avoid the whole syncing thing. If I don't transfer the purchases, what is the worst that can happen--having to redownload all 200 apps via wifi back onto my iPad? Would it make more sense to bring my iPad to an apple store and let them put the update on it? I am really afraid I will screw it up. Unfortunately I won't have access to my own computer for several more months, and I really need the folders since I am running out of pages for all my icons!

OP
gekkota

gekkota

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And thanks, Tim SPRACKLEN... Trust me, I am not rushing into anything! I am just trying to get a sense of whether I can update without totally messing it up!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
gekkota said:
Thanks, twerppoet. I really appreciate the time you put into your response. It sounds a lot more involved than I was hoping it would be, especially for a techno-idiot like myself! I was hoping I could just plug my iPad into my sister's computer, check for updates, and voilà! A new OS would suddenly appear on my iPad.

I am kind of stuck on the "transfer purchases" concept. Do I HAVE to transfer the purchases? Will it let me update without doing that? I am trying to avoid the whole syncing thing. If I don't transfer the purchases, what is the worst that can happen--having to redownload all 200 apps via wifi back onto my iPad? Would it make more sense to bring my iPad to an apple store and let them put the update on it? I am really afraid I will screw it up. Unfortunately I won't have access to my own computer for several more months, and I really need the folders since I am running out of pages for all my icons!

If you've got access to an Apple store try them first. There are simply too many things that can go wrong for me to recommend that you try upgrading your iPad without first having a fully functioning and synced iTunes. Could you get away with it, maybe. But iTune notoriously wants to replace all you iPad's content whenever you switch computers. If you've got anything besides apps that you want to keep, you stand a good cance of losing it. And even if it is only apps, do you really want to spend the next several days downloading them again.

What does 4.3 have that is so important that you can't wait? Just curious.

OP
gekkota

gekkota

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4.3 has folders.
I've pretty much filled up all the spaces for individual icons on all my pages, and I really NEED folders!
There are also a few apps that require 4.x that I would like but cannot download since I am on 3.2.

I may go to an apple store and ask them to update it. I don't really have all that much on my iPad except for the apps. If I lose all of them and have to redownload them I would just have to deal with it, I guess...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, good luck. I forgot you said you were still on 3.2 in your first post. I seem to be making a lot of little mistakes lately.

Recently someone suggested taking screen shots of all your home screens, so that you know what apps to download if you lose them. Seems like a good precaution for you to take. Just mail them to yourself and save them on a computer.

OP
gekkota

gekkota

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I was able to update from 3.2 to 4.3 on my sister's Mac. I never got the box asking whether I want to erase and sync or transfer purchases, so I manually selected transfer purchases. I also had to manually look for the available os update. And even though I had checked the box NOT to automatically sync, it went ahead and synced anyway...

The transferring of purchases and backup took a good three hours, but I kind of knew it would be a long process. I really appreciate the detailed instructions you gave, and even printed them out so I could refer to them during the update. It is a relief that I didn't lose any data or documents or apps!
Thanks again.

Jnicholls14

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You can't take it to the apple store to update it, I was going to do that with my iPad, but when they update it they reset it, which means erasing all content and settings, and then updating it. Then they give it to you all updated but basically brand new...

Most reactions

Latest posts