What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

update for iPad 3 wifi/gsm gone terribly wrong

Don270752

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone help, I tried to update my iPad 3 by wifi and it got about 2/3 of the way through and said there is no wifi. So at that point it was still working with 6.1.3 (I should have let it there by not me eh). Then I decided to connect it to iTunes and go through the process, stop Nortons, took all USB out etc. It got to about 2/3 through and said I must do a restore, so followed instructions to the letter and again it gets to "restoring iPad firmware" and comes up with error (1). Have tried on my other computer as well and it just does the same thing. On my account at Apple I have also deleted the iPad but it still goes through the same process and gets to the same point "restoring iPad firmware". Have been to the Apple store here in my city by they say the iPad has a hardware problem. I find this hard to believe as it was working before I tried to upgrade. Any help would be good and much appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
D

Don270752

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried this several times and it still only gets to the same point "restoring iPad firmware" and stops iTunes comes up with (1). One point I did not say before (not sure if it makes a difference) is that this ipPad was bought in Saudi Arabia (it is made in Hong Kong) and I live in China now and have changed my account to China whereas originally my account was Saudi. HELP PLEAESE

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This doesn't make a difference. You can access your country's App Store from anywhere in the world, or another country from where you are. It all depends on your Apple ID and the location/country that is chosen there.

If you also tried my suggestion several times, I can't think of anything else you could do. Sorry!

OP
D

Don270752

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I even check the host file and there is no reference to the apple site in there. DOES anybody else have any ideas, I have heard of a special .ipsw file that the stores have does anybody know about this

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Genius Bar does not have a special IPSW that they run. Most Geniuses do not place the device into DFU mode even if there's a persistent issue, they strictly use Recovery Mode and uses the same IPSWs available for public download, just that they're stored locally.

To diagnose the issue, it'd be helpful to provide the following:

Which iTunes version you're currently running.

Which OS are you using on your computer.

Which IPSW are you using

OP
D

Don270752

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the answer, I am using Vista Home P. the latest iTunes from the site and just deleted and reloaded 11.1.2.31 and the software is iPad3,3_7.0.3_11B511_Restore.ipsw

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
See if the following chronology of trial and error fixes the issue:

1) Remove the USB drivers in Device Manager (with the device unplugged) and restart your computer. Retry the restore in DFU mode preferably with the device plugged into the rear chassis of your computer if possible.

2) Remove iTunes 11.1.2 as well as any locally cached libraries (do not remove your backups, just the library.plist in the local directory. Install iTunes 11.0.5 for Windows below that matches your architecture. Retry the restore in DFU mode.

3) Create a second user on your computer with administrative rights that's independent of any current user profiles. Reinstall a fresh copy of iTunes 11.0.5, and re-attempt to DFU restore the device once again using a fresh copy of the iPad_3,3 IPSW.

Windows 32: https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/iT...TunesSetup.exe

Windows 64: https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/iT...nes64Setup.exe

OP
D

Don270752

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried all the above and still no joy, I am really thinking about throwing the thing out the window. I also update my iPod yesterday with no problems at all

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bring it to the Genius Bar for them to run a few diagnostic runs on it to isolate the issue. If you're still under the manufacturer 1-year warranty, you can get it replaced. Or, if you have insurance on it from your carrier, you can get it replaced/fixed by the carrier.

Most reactions

Latest posts