What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update cannot be installed...

EstherN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep getting a notice to update my ipad 3. But it tells me the update cannot be installed because I don't have enough storage. So! I deleted all of my photos - 1400 of them, thinking I could update then. Nope. Same message. Thinking this was critical because of a trip we're taking, getting the message that I could delete some usage settings, I checked THAT out. Turns out I can buy more storage. Key word. Buy. I don't get it. I rarely use this ipad. Guess I need to study exactly what it can do, and ignore the update popup. I like it, but would like to hear from long-time users of this device. How do I find out how much storage I have, and how much more I can put on my ipad.

Thanks in advance.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Open the Settings app and tap on General, then tap on Usage. You should see a list of your apps and how much space the content of those apps is using. At the bottom of this list is a button labeled "Show all Apps", tap that to see a full list. Pay particular attention to the apps at the top of the list, and how much space they are using. More than likely you can delete some of the content in those top apps to free up some space for the update.

Regarding your mention of buying more space. This deals with your iCloud space allotment and doesn't affect the amount of space on the device itself.

Last edited:

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is correct and I would just like to make clear- you cannot add more storage to the iPad. It's isn't possible. If you need more storage you would need to use something like Dropbox or try a wifi hard drive.

OP
E

EstherN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I AM learning, thanks to y'all. :) I have Dropbox on my desktop, but that's one more thing I need to understand. Think I've deleted everything I can delete. Now to keep the windows from popping up telling me I don't have enough room to back up the ipad when I'm not TRYING to back up the ipad...

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure if this could be a solution, but open up iTunes, and hold shift (Windows) or Command (Mac OSX) and click on Check For Updates and point it to the 7.0.6 firmware file. This method should only mask over your system files and should not eat away a portion of your iPad's space. It also should not perform a brief check of your device's data and prep you for an app backup or device backup (though you should perform one just in case as well as regularly).

OP
E

EstherN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well guess what! I was able to update it from my PC. It took three hours, but it's updated. Now I have another problem. It's asking for a passcode, and isn't accepting it, so I can't get in. If it ain't one thang, it's another.

Most reactions

Latest posts