What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unzip file to use on ipad1 browzer

MusicBytheScorps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A web site http://www.thecircuitdetective.com/index.htm only offers partial access to its web site.
but... If you want you can purchase and download the complete web site in a Zip file. Which I did..

Now the instructions that came with the zipped file in a email or as follows:

The attached .zip file contains the 211 files (4 MB when unzipped) that will make up your offline reference website for home electrical troubleshooting. Once you unzip (extract) the files to a single new folder on your computer, use your web browser to open the file called "index.htm," and you will be at the home page.

How can I do this using my ipad1?

OP
MusicBytheScorps

MusicBytheScorps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A web site http://www.thecircuitdetective.com/index.htm only offers partial access to its web site.
but... If you want you can purchase and download the complete web site in a Zip file. Which I did..

The attached .zip file contains the 211 files (4 MB when unzipped) that will make up your offline reference website for home electrical troubleshooting. Once you unzip (extract) the files to a single new folder on your computer, use your web browser to open the file called "index.htm," and you will be at the home page.

Any help? Thank you in advanced!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I've never heard of something like this and would think it's not doable as these files would need an app to open in. My first thought would be if this company has its own app?

I've moved your thread to our Help Section where you will receive a better response.

Bumping your post so soon after first posting is also against our Forum Rules.....this is a worldwide Forum and you need to allow time for members to see this who can help you. 48 hours is the minimum time lapse allowed before bumping.

OP
MusicBytheScorps

MusicBytheScorps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I've never heard of something like this and would think it's not doable as these files would need an app to open in. My first thought would be if this company has its own app?

I've moved your thread to our Help Section where you will receive a better response.

Bumping your post so soon after first posting is also against our Forum Rules.....this is a worldwide Forum and you need to allow time for members to see this who can help you. 48 hours is the minimum time lapse allowed before bumping.

It worked on my PC .. I just used my browser and viewed it

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It worked on my PC .. I just used my browser and viewed it

Well they were made with a PC in mind.....I can't tell you if it could work at all on an iPad, it just seems unlikely to me but others hopefully will know more.

But a thought here is if you were to download a remote access app like Splashtop you could then access your PC to view these files from anywhere over the net.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/splashtop-2-remote-desktop/id382509315?mt=8

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you search the App Store there are probably several zip/unzip utilities, but the only app I know of that will zip/unzip files is GoodReader. You have to copy the zipped file to GoodReader using any one of various methods, go to the Manage Files section, select the file, then use the unZip button.

GoodReader can view many file types, but other the PDF files you can't do much else with them. To do more with the files you'll need a compatible app downloaded on the iPad. Again, in Manage Files section you select the app, then choose the … Open In button to see what files you can copy/open the file in.

Hold in mind that Zip has several versions. Depending on how recent your zip file is GoodReader's zip utilitiy may or may not work. On the other hand GoodReader is a handy app to have, so even if it does not work for this you're likely to find is useful in the future.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had a quick look at the website in question.
The site was set up circa 2007 which is "mature" for a web site. The way in which I read the offer to purchase zipped files was that it is aimed at computer users, and not at tablet users.

So, my quick conclusion is that the site owner will not have used an application which can extract compressed files on a tablet.

A good bet would be to unzip the files to a dedicated folder on your computer. If you wish to access the files from your iPad, I suggest that you either import the files as they are, or convert them onto PDFs and then import the PDFs.

There are a few free utilities for converting files into PDFs available online. The one which I like is "cute pdf".

HTH

Richard

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you search the App Store there are probably several zip/unzip utilities .......

There are 44 of them. There are several free ones available. I was surprised to see one freebie produced by a mainstream provider of zipping utilities for computers.

I haven't had any reason to unzip files onto an iPad so cannot comment further, apart from saying try out a couple of freebies to see how you get along.

adamsky314

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, however, I am afraid - afger checking several ones - none at least so far had the feature Iwas looking for.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
After re-reading the original post I realized that unzipping the files is only the beginning of a solution, or maybe not even that.

You may be able to view the site in GoodReader, by choosing the index.html file as described in your post. After unzipping.

If not:

Apps that will view local files on the iPad as a website are few and far between. I only know of one; HTML Presenter. To use it you leave the site zipped, upload it to DropBox, and then use the app to download it from the same. In my experience the app works poorly. I've only tried it with two sites. One was an HTML version of a book. The other a simple site I'd created using the SandVox website creation tool. In both cases the sites were only marginally usable. The app description talks about designing sites-as-catalogs, so it may work better with sites designed specifically for use in the app.

The iCab Mobile browser will display html files if you download and select them in the browser. It's probably the best display engine, however there does not seem to be any way to download an entire folder at once, or I have not found one. Testing it with an entire folder of html files (an entire website) has been too much effort for me to try. You'd have to create a folder in iCab's download directory (easy) and then download each file from Dropbox or other source individually (painful).

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I've been thinking further over what you are asking about. I didn't address your query about how to replicate the index page and its hyperlinks within the website. I don't readily have an answer for this.

However, there is a possible work around. It will take you time and careful planning. Look at the website layout and look at producing an interactive book based on the structure.

I have used iPad related books with hyperlinks which take you to chapters and sections in the book. An authoring tool for creating such books is at this link to Apple. http://www.apple.com/uk/ibooks-author/

When I checked the link, I noted the app is free.

The iPad Manuals available from the website are superb examples of interactive books.

Please keep us up to date with how you get on.

OP
MusicBytheScorps

MusicBytheScorps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been thinking further over what you are asking about. I didn't address your query about how to replicate the index page and its hyperlinks within the website. I don't readily have an answer for this.

However, there is a possible work around. It will take you time and careful planning. Look at the website layout and look at producing an interactive book based on the structure.

I have used iPad related books with hyperlinks which take you to chapters and sections in the book. An authoring tool for creating such books is at this link to Apple. http://www.apple.com/uk/ibooks-author/

When I checked the link, I noted the app is free.

The iPad Manuals available from the website are superb examples of interactive books.

Please keep us up to date with how you get on.

I thank you all for you input. I've tried several different free programs. Unable to upload to ipad, i tried but was not sure what i was doing.as far as converting files , unzipping, open in etc.

OP
MusicBytheScorps

MusicBytheScorps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I'm able to view the web page using safari... Seems to me I could somehow use my browser ? Idk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The problem with using a browser on the iPad is that there is no way to point the browser at a local file on the iPad. At least not in Safari. Otherwise, it would work. Yes, you can do it on a computer, but that is because the computer has a general file storage system that is accessible by any app. In iOS, apps can only access files the belong to them. There is no general file storage area (with a couple of built in exceptions like photos and contacts).

As I said earlier, iCab Mobile can look at local files, but only it's own files. Unfortunately getting an entire site into iCab is a pain.

OP
MusicBytheScorps

MusicBytheScorps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm? Well I was able to find a way using the app "I Save Web Pro" I can do just one section at a time which is ok. . I can view the web site using safari but only partial because of the limited time you can view whole site. What I'm wondering is there a way to reset my safari so the web site thinks I'm a first time visitor. That way I can quickly Copy the site a section at a time. It's not stealing cause I already paid the 10$ for the zip file..
Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts