What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to open videos with Facebook messenger on the iPad.

dreammaker105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! I'm dreammaker105 from Malaysia. I'm a Production Engineer by profession and I love to network with friends, both local and abroad via Facebook.

Lately, I have tried sharing video clips from Facebook with Facebook messenger. Problem is, when I try opening the video clips in Facebook messenger on the iPad or iPad 2, 8 times out of 10, there will be this message "Sorry, this page isn't available". But when I go to my laptop and open it from there, it always work. What can be the problem?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like Facebook still has some issues to work out with the messenger app.

Somethings to check, because maybe they would make a difference. Do you have the main Facebook app installed, and are you signed into your Facebook account in Settings > Facebook?

That's all I can think of. I don't have Facebook Messenger, so I can't run any tests.

OP
dreammaker105

dreammaker105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like Facebook still has some issues to work out with the messenger app.

Somethings to check, because maybe they would make a difference. Do you have the main Facebook app installed, and are you signed into your Facebook account in Settings > Facebook?

That's all I can think of. I don't have Facebook Messenger, so I can't run any tests.
Thanks twerppoet for your suggestions and It's "yes" to both questions, so it's something else that's causing this problem. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh well.

You can also try the usual fixes, if you have not already done so; though I think them unlikely to work in this case. It really does sound like a problem with the messenger app and video compatibility.

I can't even get decent results on a search for the problem. All the top Google results are taken up by the stupid privacy non-scandal.

------------------------------
The Usual Fixes

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app:

iOS 6: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app.

iOS 7: Double tap the Home button to get the multitasking display. Swipe up on the problem app's thumbnail image (not the icon).

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking. Do not confuse this with Erase All Content and Settings.

More detailed information at: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3281?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

OP
dreammaker105

dreammaker105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh well.

You can also try the usual fixes, if you have not already done so; though I think them unlikely to work in this case. It really does sound like a problem with the messenger app and video compatibility.

I can't even get decent results on a search for the problem. All the top Google results are taken up by the stupid privacy non-scandal.

The Usual Fixes

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app:

iOS 6: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app.

iOS 7: Double tap the Home button to get the multitasking display. Swipe up on the problem app's thumbnail image (not the icon).

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking. Do not confuse this with Erase All Content and Settings.

More detailed information at: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3281?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
OK, I will take note of this and give it a try when I get home after work this evening. Thanks again.

Victoria022

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It happened to me before after I updated my Iphone 4s but after i deleted the facebook application and installed it again, the issues has been gone. This a great thread by the way..:)

OP
dreammaker105

dreammaker105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It happened to me before after I updated my Iphone 4s but after i deleted the facebook application and installed it again, the issues has been gone. This a great thread by the way..:)

Hi Victoria022. I have tried deleting the FB app and re-installed it, still the same problem. Strangely, I can view these video clips on my iPhone5s which has the same settings as both iPads.

OP
dreammaker105

dreammaker105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! I'm dreammaker105 from Malaysia. I'm a Production Engineer by profession and I love to network with friends, both local and abroad via Facebook.

Lately, I have tried sharing video clips from Facebook with Facebook messenger. Problem is, when I try opening the video clips in Facebook messenger on the iPad or iPad 2, 8 times out of 10, there will be this message "Sorry, this page isn't available". But when I go to my laptop and open it from there, it always work. What can be the problem?
Huh, the funniest thing just happened. I tried opening the video clips in Facebook messenger on my iPad again this time, it worked! I could watch all the videos, every one of them, and I didn't change anything. This is weird!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm.

Sounds like the problem was on FaceBooks servers then. Maybe they just need time to convert the videos to mobile versions. Even YouTube can take a while to convert videos to all needed codecs and versions.

Most reactions