What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to open file in keynote

lilac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! I have an iPad 2. I am unable to open earlier presentation files in my keynote. If I try to select some file it says that the files are getting updated. I've attached the screen shot. Can anyone pls help? Thanks in advance.

Lilac

Attachments

• image-3418408252.jpg
    image-3418408252.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi - you might want to provide the iOS version on your iPad 2 (there is a new Keynote which runs on iOS 7) - also, please tell us if these same files opened previously in your app. I would first suggest performing the maneuvers below starting w/ a 'Force Close' of Keynote, then reopen the app and check the file; if not successful, then simply go down the list and rechecking. If these procedures do not correct the problem, then please post back. Good luck - Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up):
a. iOS 6.x - press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.
b. iOS 7.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi! I have an iPad 2. I am unable to open earlier presentation files in my keynote. If I try to select some file it says that the files are getting updated. I've attached the screen shot. Can anyone pls help? Thanks in advance. Lilac
This happened to me a few times in Pages. Sometimes just tapping the file again opened the document; sometimes I closed the app, reopened Pages and was able to access the file afterwards. Also, waiting for the files to update (this usually did take a few seconds on my device) and then open them worked.

OP
L

lilac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for your all suggestions. I've tried forced closing of the iPad. It is not working. I've iOS 7. In earlier version I could access my file in keynote, now I can't with the new iOS.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for your all suggestions. I've tried forced closing of the iPad. It is not working. I've iOS 7. In earlier version I could access my file in keynote, now I can't with the new iOS.

Hi again Lilac - did you 'Reset' the iPad according to the directions in my previous post? If not, please give that maneuver a try - nothing will be deleted on your device. If that does not help, then you could delete the app and re-load it but you will also lose your data, so not sure if you have a copy of the file stored elsewhere? Dave :)

OP
L

lilac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave! Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I did reset. Didn't work. Now I'll try to delete the app and reinstall again. Need to check if I have my earlier presentations in cloud. If not I'll lose my data. :( . Thanks anyway! :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have Keynote set to sync in iCloud and have access to a desktop computer, try visiting icloud.com on the computer and see if you can access the document there. Opening in the cloud should attempt to make the same conversion, and may work where it would not on the iPad.

If you are using a Mac, and have Time Machine set up, you can also try retrieving an older version of the document and converting that.

Most reactions