What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The iWatch to Feature Flexible AMOLED Display and 3D Protective Glass

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
iwatch-concept-620x396.jpg

According to multiple reports from the industry, Apple is said to have picked Taiwan-based touch panel maker TPK to build flexible AMOLED panels for the upcoming iWatch. Besides the flexible AMOLED panels, the iWatch is expected to have a 3D protective glass, which means the cover glass will have a curved aspect.

It seems that, after all, the iWatch will launch in 2014, after some rumors had appeared saying that we will not see it until 2015. According to rumors from the supply chain that our own source has been able to confirm, mass-production of Apple’s smartwatch will begin in the second half of 2014, and the launch is projected for fall, possibly at the same event as the next iPhone.

The mass production of the iWatch is expected to kickstart in the second half of this year and Apple is reportedly aiming to release the iWatch by the end of 2014, as well. TPK has partnered with Apple before when it supplied the touch panels for the first iPad and also produced around 80 percent of the touchscreens for the iPhone 4s.

TPK is also said to have entered into a deal with Japan-based Nissha Printing in order to develop the silver nanowire technology that could be used in the iWatch. This would allow for the glass to be transparent while adapting to the curved surface. Tom Sun, TPK’s president, said that the production of the silver nanowire displays is now at the capacity of two million units per month.

Source: iWatchMag

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I look forward to seeing this being released.

Can't say I would buy one as I don't wear a watch......but still will be interesting to see how it works and how it is integrated.

Most reactions