What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV out not working for my US bought iPad on a UK TV. Possible they're not compatible?

kingsloi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I ended up buying my first Apple product whilst I was in the US on a 12 month internship. Hands down, the iPad 3 is the best thing I've ever bought. It's basically taken over my phone, laptop, and computer. I take the thing everywhere. It's the 16GB WIFI model.
I ended up buying some Workaholics tv series via iTunes for my flight home, the iPad is the perfect companion for flying!

Anyway, I want to watch my shows on my iPad on my Television, I know it's possible because my friend (who has an iPad 2 does it). So, I went to an Apple shop, saw they sold a composite cable for £30. Being a typical broke student, I decided to eBay one, came across this listing: Gold RCA Composite AV Video to TV USB Charger Cable for iPad 2 3 iPhone 4 4S 3GS | eBay - sounds promising, right? It says on the listing that it's compatible with the iPad 3, "happy days" or so I thought.
Well, it came today and to my shock, it didn't work. I tried it with my brothers iPad 2 (watching Netflix) and it worked perfectly, however my US iPad 3 didn't work at all. I tried plugging it into a composite->scart adapter and still nothing. No sound played through my iPad or TV (which I find strange) but there wasn't any video at all.

Just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences? I'm dying to watch Netflix on my TV but at the moment I'm confined to watching it on my iPad.

pkay1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought the same thing as you and could not get it working either. Here is why and they do not tell you this. It is not tv out as such and the only way
to watch stuff is using AIRPLAY with the wire connected look for the icon on screen while playing a video press that and hey presto.
Sorry do not know if netflix works that way as I have not tried it.
Hope that helps.

rooCASE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This might be a long shot but have you tried switching the format from NTSC to PAL? When your cable is connected, you should see a setting in Settings > General > TV Out.

Most reactions

Latest posts