What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV adaptor - onscreen 'cursor' indicator?

Garve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The backlight on my 18 month old iPad 2 has gone, making it almost unusable. I can just see what's on the screen if the ambient light is very low. Apple's charges to fix it are entirely uneconomic, and even getting someone local to fix it is likely to cost too much.

Rather than bin it though, I wondered if it would be useful as a an accessory to my TV? If I buy an AV adaptor cable it'd allow me to watch online programs and perhaps play games, browse the internet etc on the TV.

However, in terms of controlling the iPad, if I can't see the icons etc on the iPad screen it's going to be difficult. When viewing the display on a TV is there any indication of where you're touching (ie a cursor). If not, are there any apps which would give this functionality?

Alternatively, does anyone know of any other uses for an iPad with this particular problem?

cheers

Garve

Junior

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
macaddictionblog.wordpress.com
No on-screen cursor. It will pretty much mirror what you see on your iPad. You'll be guessing where you're pressing until you see what happens on your TV.

It will make a very nice paper weight.

pcoleman721

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can see just enough, try jail breaking it. Install BTC Mouse and Trackpad. It lets you use a bluetooth mouse putting an arrow cursor on your screen like a computer. You could basically park your iPad like a Mac Mini and use it through the HDMI of your TV.

OP
G

Garve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, that's an option. However, it looks like the best bet is probably to sell it for spares - faulty iPads seem to make a fair bit on eBay, so i"ll maybe give an android tablet a go.

Most reactions

Latest posts