What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TuneIn car mode

OP
S

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I emailed them as well. I don't expect much, but maybe the repeated emails will make someone realize something is missing...

hughJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just noticed this thread through browsing your great forum, I have Tune in on both iPad2 and iPhone4, I use the apps regularly on both devices however although I do drive regularly I have never even considered using the app whilst driving (not sure) but in the UK this may be against the law, having said that I have tested (at home) the problem users appear to be ranting on about: Car Mode can be selected via settings and would appear to provide a selection of the buttons (larger size) necessary for operation, and below the buttons there is an exit car mode button.
My conclusion is that this feature is simply to provide bigger buttons in order to reduce concentration time necessary to alter station etc.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just noticed this thread through browsing your great forum, I have Tune in on both iPad2 and iPhone4, I use the apps regularly on both devices however although I do drive regularly I have never even considered using the app whilst driving (not sure) but in the UK this may be against the law, having said that I have tested (at home) the problem users appear to be ranting on about: Car Mode can be selected via settings and would appear to provide a selection of the buttons (larger size) necessary for operation, and below the buttons there is an exit car mode button.
My conclusion is that this feature is simply to provide bigger buttons in order to reduce concentration time necessary to alter station etc.

I've not had trouble finding the iPhone car mode button in settings, and it doesn't sound like that's the problem for anyone else. The question is how to activate car mode on iPad when there is no option in settings that any of us can find despite Tunein's apparently useless or absent guidance.

hughJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I've not had trouble finding the iPhone car mode button in settings, and it doesn't sound like that's the problem for anyone else. The question is how to activate car mode on iPad when there is no option in settings that any of us can find despite Tunein's apparently useless or absent guidance.

Ok kkk, you have highlighted the issue is with iPad only, I personally find that the Tunein app is designed and supported to a far greater standard than most apps available presently, Im confused as to why you want to use the iPad to access radio while driving, I'm also not sure what you mean by "apparently useless or absent" in your description of there guidance in response, perhaps it wasn't clear to support that the issue in question was specific to iPad and not iPhone.
I'm sure many iPhone users have there handsets connected in some way in-car, justifying the need for car-mode on the iPhone version of the Tunein app.
The iPad version probably wasn't considered to be necessary for obvious reasons.
However I may have got it wrong and if so I apologise, I'm working on the principle of common sense, thats all.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok kkk, you have highlighted the issue is with iPad only, I personally find that the Tunein app is designed and supported to a far greater standard than most apps available presently, Im confused as to why you want to use the iPad to access radio while driving, I'm also not sure what you mean by "apparently useless or absent" in your description of there guidance in response, perhaps it wasn't clear to support that the issue in question was specific to iPad and not iPhone.
I'm sure many iPhone users have there handsets connected in some way in-car, justifying the need for car-mode on the iPhone version of the Tunein app.
The iPad version probably wasn't considered to be necessary for obvious reasons.
However I may have got it wrong and if so I apologise, I'm working on the principle of common sense, thats all.

Car mode is described in the iPad app summary in the app store, and TuneIn has emailed useless guidance to at least one person on this thread and hasn't answered others who've emailed. Please reread the thread if necessary. Common sense tells me that not everyone with an iPad also has an iPhone.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with Kay. There is no car mode in Tunein for iPad. Anywhere. Some people have set their iPad up in their car using mounts and also the iPad screen is larger than iPhone thereby making it safer. If the app clearly states car mode then it should be there. I don't have it set up due to o 3G but I do know of people who do and they live in UK.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Im confused as to why you want to use the iPad to access radio while driving,

Locally we have about 24 broadcast stations that I can hear on my conventional car radio... TuneIn gives me access to over 50,000 stations... Of those stations, I've found many that are much more interesting than what is offered by the local broadcasters.. This may come as a shock.. But while I'm driving I also listen to MP3 music that I've downloaded from iTunes or ripped from my old CD collection. :) This is actually safer than the old method of using Tapes and CDs.. You don't have to take your eyes off the road to find a CD or tape and then remove or insert it into the player....

mrwednesday

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jwt873 said:
Locally we have about 24 broadcast stations that I can hear on my conventional car radio... TuneIn gives me access to over 50,000 stations... Of those stations, I've found many that are much more interesting than what is offered by the local broadcasters.. This may come as a shock.. But while I'm driving I also listen to MP3 music that I've downloaded from iTunes or ripped from my old CD collection. :) This is actually safer than the old method of using Tapes and CDs.. You don't have to take your eyes off the road to find a CD or tape and then remove or insert it into the player....

Do you hook up your iPad to the aux port on your car stereo and then play TuneIn through that? Or do you just listen to the iPad itself?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
S

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, the thread is taking wild swings.

To simplify and realign:
1-The iPad app TuneIn description says it has a car mode (since v2.4)
2-No one has been able to enable the iPad TuneIn app car mode

PS to MrWednesday:
I plug it in the aux port.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally, an answer from TuneIn:

Thank you for contacting us regarding this issue. Unfortunately Car Mode is not available for iPad. I apologize for the confusion.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, at least now we know.

Now they just need to update the app to SAY that...

Marilyn

Really.

I bet they would've sent me the same useless guidance they'd sent to others previously, but I said in my email, hey, please don't send me the same useless guidance that you sent someone else, because it doesn't work. Lol.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Go Kay. Thanks for sorting this out. That got them!

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you hook up your iPad to the aux port on your car stereo and then play TuneIn through that? Or do you just listen to the iPad itself?

Unfortunately, my car radio has no AUX input... I plug the iPad into an FM transmitter and then pick up the transmitted signal on my car radio. It's not the best way to do it because sometimes you get interference.... (Often from other people using FM transmitters in their cars :) ) .. I'm considering the purchase of a new car and one of the options I'll be looking for is a direct iPad/iPod/iPhone interface..

OP
S

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You guys won't believe this

I specifically said my question was for the iPad version, and I said I deleted/reinstalled with no success and rebooted as well.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us regarding this issue. You may want to try restarting your device by holding down the top button for 5 seconds and then pressing it down again to restart. You can also try deleting and re-downloading the app. This will be a free download as long as you use the same iTunes account you used to purchase it.

Sincerely,

Derek
TuneIn

Kaykaykay, what's the name of the one who replied to you and confirmed the iPad app did not have a car mode?

Most reactions

Latest posts