What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

troubles Jbreaking ipad2 from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 - please help!

azimuth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an iPad2 wifi+3G on iOS 5.0.1 and already jailbroken.

I'd like to upgrade to iOS 5.1.1 and for doing so I've downloaded the 5.1.1 firmware from iClarified and Redsn0w too. I've lauched iTunes (v. 10.7 under Win7 64bit, fully updated) and I choose the option the restore from my local firmware but I got an error 3194.

At this point I modified the host file and resolved the issue but then I got another one: unknown error 21 and the device remained in recovery mode.

Then I lauched the Redsn0w prog (v. 0.9.14b2-win) that helped me exiting the recovery mode and now the device is back to normal functionality but still on v. 5.0.1 .

Now the question is pretty simple: how can I restore (even without using iTunes) to the 5.1.1 firmware? is there a SAFE and effective procedure to upgrade and then jailbreak again the 5.1.1? even using just Redsn0w alone orsome other bunch of progs?

Thanks in advance for all the infos.

have a nice day,
Azi

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't do what you want as things stand, sorry.
That may change in the future, but there is no way to restore 5.1.1 on an iPad2 at the moment.

OP
A

azimuth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't do what you want as things stand, sorry.
That may change in the future, but there is no way to restore 5.1.1 on an iPad2 at the moment.

sorry but I don't get it ... why I cannot? My iPad2 is still on 5.0.1 JB so please elaborate a bit more why I cannot go 5.0.1 -> 5.1.1 ?

My initial plan was:
Use xbackup or pkgbackup to backup you cydia tweaks.
Backup ipad2 in itunes

Restore to 5.1.1
jailbreak with absinthe 2.02
Restore
backup from itunes
Restore cydia packages

what's wrong with it?

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
azimuth said:
sorry but I don't get it ... why I cannot? My iPad2 is still on 5.0.1 JB so please elaborate a bit more why I cannot go 5.0.1 -> 5.1.1 ?

My initial plan was:
Use xbackup or pkgbackup to backup you cydia tweaks.
Backup ipad2 in itunes

Restore to 5.1.1
jailbreak with absinthe 2.02
Restore
backup from itunes
Restore cydia packages

what's wrong with it?

You can't go from iOS 5.0.1-iOS 5.1.1 because Apple is no longer signing iOS 5.1.1. At the current time, the only upgrade open to you is to iOS 6 which does not yet have an available jailbreak.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The short answer is that you cannot do this because there is currently no way to restore a 5.x firmware on the iPad2. The next version of redsn0w will allow some flexibility in restoring 5.x firmwares on the iPad2 and iPad3 IF you have saved SHSH Blobs and you do not update to IOS6. Read more about it here - Dev-Team Blog

If you don't believe me and want to try your plan, please go ahead, but it simply won't work and you will need to restore to IOS6 to get your device to work. That will block you from future IOS downgrades and there is no jailbreak for IOS6 on the iPad yet.

OP
A

azimuth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It takes me a little time to think things over. Thank you!

Most reactions

Latest posts