What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traveling to Palermo need wifi advice

Palmilla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am leaving for Palermo May 22 and will be there four weeks. Here is my problem. First I am a novice and over 60.. so be kind with your answers.

I have a 3g Iphone and 3g Ipad (not the 4 but the one below that).

I wish to travel up the coast of Italy and need communication between friends in Italy as well as the USA.
*I would like to call, but that is only if the price is right and I would like to use my Ipad not only for emails, but to upload pictures too.
* I also have a translator on my Ipad which will help, but it requires Wifi to make it work... I really need this, because mycommunications skills are lacking.

I've read some posting about getting a sim's card for the Iphone as well as the Ipad... if so, where do I get them? And possible the cost.

Next, if I find a wifi that is free (I'm not sure if there are any free wiFi spots.. but lets say that they do).. if I turn on my Ipad as I would here in the US and send email/send pictures.. what ever. Is there going to be an International charge on my ATT bill?

I know I've asked a lot. Thanks you ahead of time.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am leaving for Palermo May 22 and will be there four weeks. Here is my problem. First I am a novice and over 60.. so be kind with your answers.

I have a 3g Iphone and 3g Ipad (not the 4 but the one below that).

I wish to travel up the coast of Italy and need communication between friends in Italy as well as the USA.
*I would like to call, but that is only if the price is right and I would like to use my Ipad not only for emails, but to upload pictures too.
* I also have a translator on my Ipad which will help, but it requires Wifi to make it work... I really need this, because mycommunications skills are lacking.

I've read some posting about getting a sim's card for the Iphone as well as the Ipad... if so, where do I get them? And possible the cost.

Next, if I find a wifi that is free (I'm not sure if there are any free wiFi spots.. but lets say that they do).. if I turn on my Ipad as I would here in the US and send email/send pictures.. what ever. Is there going to be an International charge on my ATT bill?

I know I've asked a lot. Thanks you ahead of time.

GSM coverage in Italy is extensive. Here are details of the coverage, operators and charges

GSM Coverage Maps | Italy

WiFi is entirely different from 3G so, if you're using WiFi, this will have no influence on your 3G bill from AT&T. Although there are many WiFi hotspots around in Italy, you generally have to subscribe to them, so you might want to check out whether your accommodation there has either free WiFi or what the arrangements are for subscribing. For sure, as you move around using your translator if you need Internet connectivity, then you're going to need 3G because WiFi is restricted to a relatively small area around the hotspot.

Tim

FrannieAnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lucky you .... Italy is gorgeous

I am no expert but i have purchased the same ipad due to the fact that i plan to use it while on my travels. I havent done this yet but apparently you can pay the local provider in whichever country u are in for the pwriod of time you will be there which will be cheaper than roaming fees.

You can set your ipad up so that if u are in a wifif free area your ipad can pick up that signal first.

Dunno if i my response is helpful but have a great trip!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am no expert but i have purchased the same ipad due to the fact that i plan to use it while on my travels. I havent done this yet but apparently you can pay the local provider in whichever country u are in for the pwriod of time you will be there which will be cheaper than roaming fees.

You can set your ipad up so that if u are in a wifif free area your ipad can pick up that signal first.

Dunno if i my response is helpful but have a great trip!

That's great advice - thanks - yes, pre-paid local SIMs are definitely the way to go - then you don't get those roaming charges, which can be truly horrendous. By the way, the iPad microSIM is still relatively uncommon so you might want to invest in a SIM-cutter (try Amazon) before you go; these cut off the excess plastic from a normal SIM and make them into the micro-SIM format.

Tim

OP
P

Palmilla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you

I really appreciate your help with my Iphone and Ipad. I will check out Amazon regarding the SIM-cutter. that part went over my head, but I'll google that to find out what a Sim-cutter is.

But all in all ... everyone's advice is:
IPAD. #1. Get a Sim-cutter from Amazon.
#2 wait until I get to Italy and "wait and pay a local provider" for service so that I don't pay roaming charges.

IPHONE.. no advice was given .. I know this is an Ipad site.. but I'll have it with me for emergencies.

thank you all for your helpful advice.
:)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both the iPhone4 and the iPad use a new type of miniature SIM called a microSIM. More or less, the iPhone and the iPad are the only devices that currently use them. So they're difficult to get and you might find you can't get one easily in Italy. But all a microSIM is is a cut-down 'regular' SIM. So to maximise your chance of getting a good deal you might want to simply get a regular SIM as the best possible price and then cut it down to fit your iPad (and iPhone).

Tim

OP
P

Palmilla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,
Just visited Amazon and let me get my mind wrapped around this Sim-cutter and when it will be used. Oh, they talk about an adapter too....Maybe I need an adapter too?

But first,I purchase an cutter and adapter (on Amazon)... then take them to Italy with me. Then find an Internet Provider in Italy.. .. then because when I buy one of their Sim's cards .. their cards are much bigger than the one in my Ipad. So it (the Italian's Sim card) will need to be cut down to fit into the adapter, which will then be placed in my Ipad.
Then when I get ready to travel back to the USA I will then replace my old Sim's card that is currently in my Ipad now and it will be back new again. Right?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,
Just visited Amazon and let me get my mind wrapped around this Sim-cutter and when it will be used. Oh, they talk about an adapter too....Maybe I need an adapter too?

But first,I purchase an cutter and adapter (on Amazon)... then take them to Italy with me. Then find an Internet Provider in Italy.. .. then because when I buy one of their Sim's cards .. their cards are much bigger than the one in my Ipad. So it (the Italian's Sim card) will need to be cut down to fit into the adapter, which will then be placed in my Ipad.
Then when I get ready to travel back to the USA I will then replace my old Sim's card that is currently in my Ipad now and it will be back new again. Right?

Nearly right. When you get to Italy you can buy a regular PAYG SIM and then cut it down to size. You don't need to fit it into the adaptor. The cut down version will fit right into your iPad. The adaptor is in case you ever need to fit the cut-down SIM into a phone that takes a regular sized SIM, because now the cut down version would be too small. So, if you needed to do this (and you probably won't) you fit the cut down SIM into the adaptor, which is the size of a regular SIM.

When you get back to the US, you can simply take out the Italian cut-down SIM and throw it away (or keep it as a memento!) and put your AT&T SIM back in the iPad.

I hope you have a great vacation and don't hesitate to get back if you have any further questions.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts