What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G International for Travel

abredt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad with 3G in it, but I do not use 3G here in the USA. I want to use it in Italy using 3G.

What do I have to do?

I looked at the ATT site and it has different costs for different amounts of data. What data is it talking about? How can I estimate the amount of data I will need? I would use it for internet websites like google-earth, reading newspapers, and email.

Thanks, ab

OP
A

abredt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't understand. If I buy a SIM card in Italy, what do I do with it? How much does one cost? How do I know how much it would cost to access the internet on my iPad?

ab?

PhotoJim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.photojim.ca
You'd have to research that yourself, but yes, you'd simply buy a SIM card from an Italian provider (e.g. Wind) that provides iPad packages. AT&T's roaming rates are very expensive; you'd probably get ten times as much data buying native coverage as you'd get roaming with AT&T.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are WiFi hot spots everywhere now. I think that your best and cheapest bet would be to use those instead of the 3G.

Protegeone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll second PhotoJim's suggestion.

I've come back from Milan last week and simply used a Vodafone prepaid
SIM card ( at the time there were "summer promotion" 1EUR for a day, unlimited ).

I've paid on 10EUR for the starter pack.

Just shop around for the best available package.

Most reactions