What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travel with iPad.

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm going to Belgium and Paris. Do I need to do anything special to use my Verizon iPad 3 in those places? Will I be able to read ebooks on the plane?

Bobbi

Frankmezz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPad charger is dual voltage, as was most of the charging equipment is today, but check anyway. I brought ONE converter plug with me and and short extension cord (to save weight and space) to allow me to plug in the extension and then all the small battery chargers plugged into the extension without any converters. It was not a voltage converter just a plug converter. Bring an extra external battery (Five Best External Battery Packs) for the plane since the battery may not last that long. download a few movies that fit on iPad, but erase them after you view and use the ipad as a backup for your digital pictures in case the camera is stolen or a card is bad. Back up the pictures every night. Take a small backup camera and do NOT use an iPhone camera as your main camera. (yes, i have a DSLR, and i carried a point in shoot as backup) Wifi should work fine, but cell towers will most likely not, so shut it off (leave it on airplane mode then turn wifi back on). Protect your gear from theft. Leave nothing of value in the hotel room, separate money and get a money belt or necklace for passports backup money, backup credit cards. Call credit card company to tell them you will be overseas or they will cut off your card thinking its been stolen. have fun. :)

sliceoflife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to use your Verizon service you might need to add international service to your data plan for the time you are there. Otherwise you could get huge roaming charges on your bill.

Frankmezz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, i forgot about adding international service, good advise. You can buy phone minutes overseas too, for land line calls home. Pretty reasonably priced.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you get your iPhone unlocked for international use, you can buy a local pre-paid SIM card for use at your destination. This would completely avoid the high cost of roaming charges.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you get your iPhone unlocked for international use, you can buy a local pre-paid SIM card for use at your destination. This would completely avoid the high cost of roaming charges.

There was a news story a couple of days back about a person who visited the States and used her Facebook account to keep folks updated about her holiday. Her parents received a bill for £3,200 as she'd exceeded her data plan limit thanks to having roaming left active.

Phone plan provider sent her a text or email warning her when she first went over her limit and asked if she wanted to continue Adding to her account, or words to that effect. I don't recall the full story, but she ignored the warning!

Her parents will have to pay the bill, but ask why don't providers send out more frequent warnings by text to protect their customers from overspending. So be warned.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There was a news story a couple of days back about a person who visited the States and used her Facebook account to keep folks updated about her holiday. Her parents received a bill for £3,200 as she'd exceeded her data plan limit thanks to having roaming left active.

Phone plan provider sent her a text or email warning her when she first went over her limit and asked if she wanted to continue Adding to her account, or words to that effect. I don't recall the full story, but she ignored the warning!

Her parents will have to pay the bill, but ask why don't providers send out more frequent warnings by text to protect their customers from overspending. So be warned.

I think it would be a good idea for the cell phone companies to shut off roaming when you reach your data limit. You would then have to make the conscious decision to turn it back on again. This would make it impossible to ignore the data limit warning.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I received 2 warnings when I was in South Tyrol, and then wasn't able to access the internet any more with 3G. Something like you suggested seems to work with my provider.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I received 2 warnings when I was in South Tyrol, and then wasn't able to access the internet any more with 3G. Something like you suggested seems to work with my provider.

We're getting something like that here in Canada, come December. Roaming charges will be capped at $100.00 and the expectation is that the cellular carriers will cut off the roaming service when that limit is reached.

OP
Bennettb

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I had no idea roaming charges could be so expensive. I will call Verizon about using the iphone and iPad internationally. Clearly I am not a world traveler.

Bobbi

Most reactions