What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring purchases made on ipad

attheinlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I try to remember to do this but every now and then I go to download and am out of space. So I just hooked my iPad to my pc to download purchases. This time I noted an app I had bought shortly ago was downloading to my pc. Since I use the cloud, is the downloading purchases from iPad now an unnecessary step? Could I instead just remove some of the newly installed programs to make way for yet another. I have far more apps then memory since I get free and highly discounted apps I think I will want in the future. Any thoughts as to whether the cloud replaces this step?

Thanks

jgelety

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I understand you you're asking if there is a way to free up space for new apps without having to back up deleted apps on your computer right? With the cloud you do not need to back up app purchases on your computer because they are backed up on the iCloud. You can delete any app then freely re-download at any point without begin charged again. In the App Store you'll notice a "purchased" section. It will list all apps currently on your device and then any app not currently on your device that you've purchased before. All you have to do is click it to re-download it. Or you can search for any app and re-download that way. You'll know you purchased it before because the button that normally says FREE or the cost will now show a picture of the cloud instead. This all assumes you're using a current version of iOS and not an older device with an iOS of 5 or below. If you are using an older device or older iOS you can still download old purchases for free by searching for the app and clicking it. The difference is that the button won't show the cloud. It will still show the FREE button or the cost. When you click it, it will ask for your password. After that if you have purchased the app it will say that you've purchased this before and would you like to download it for free again. There is no re-charge for downloading any app you've already downloaded. You're not even charged to re-download an app that you purchased for free, deleted and is now a paid app. Several times in the past I've downloaded apps then deleted them that were either on sale or temporarily free just to get them on my list for future use. I downloaded most of Electronic Arts games a couple years ago when they did a day that they were all temporarily free just in case I wanted to play them in the future. Even ones I was only minimally interested in. The only thing that you'll need to watch out for is that files for that app are reset after you delete and reinstall. So that game you were playing then deleted you may have to start the game over. Or that business app you deleted may not reinstall with the invoices you'd had there before.

iPhone 4S 6.1.2 jailbroke :) iPad 3 6.1.3 not jailbroke :(

OP
A

attheinlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks!

I think we are talking the same thing. I DO have it backing up to the cloud. But I still. Plug my computer in, I try to weekly. Under devices, there is a line to hit that says download purchases made on the device. As I said earlier, I was surprised to see an app downloading that I had just acquired before plugging it in.

So from your response, it does sound that since the cloud is the backup and not my computer, this step is no longer needed. Just delete an app I don't use yet but thought someday and install a new app. Both will indeed be available when I want it. Do you use the cloud for your backup or your computer or an external drive? Do you ever recommend turning off the cloud, like halfway through the year, backing it up so it is in your possession and then going back to the cloud service? Would that work? Do you think it is an unnecessary step or would be worthwhile in case something cHanges with the cloud or it gets hacked?

Best Regards!
Kimberly

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jgelety

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I backup nightly via the iCloud except I have the photo option turned off to save space on the cloud. But I also back up via iTunes monthly just in case there is ever an issue. And I also back up via iCloud & iTunes prior to any iOS upgrade. I've had this iPad for a month or so now. I've never backed it up via iTunes. Only iCloud. I've reset it to factory & restored from iCloud 3 times trying to fix a battery issue I had. It not only remembered all my app purchases but redownloaded all the apps I had on my iPad at the time of my last iCloud back up and restored all my settings & folders I had. Basically it appeared the exact same as prior to the restore. I'm not saying that an iTunes back up is useless but the iCloud back up functions the same pretty much. For me the only benefit I can see with iTunes over iCloud is if you need to restore your device it restores it quicker via iTunes restore than the iCloud restore.

iPhone 4S 6.1.2 jailbroke :) iPad 3 6.1.3 not jailbroke :(

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Every app you downloaded will be visible in App Store - Purchased, like this:

image-2441293422.jpg

If you have to delete an app because of lack of space, it will still be there, but with a cloud next to it. This means it's not on your iPad. Whenever you want to download it again, all you have to do is go to App Store - Purchased, tap the cloud, and the app will start downloading again.

Everything you ever purchased, paid and free apps, will be found in App Store - Purchased. The apps can't be deleted from there.

When you go to Settings - iCloud, you will see that it only backs up the content of apps, not the apps themselves.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts