What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring iTunes Purchases to New Owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Getting ready to sell the iPad and I want to be able to give my app purchases to the new owner. Right now I'm thinking this:

1) Wipe iPad clean
2) load all purchased apps again
3) change credit card, name, and account info to new owner's info.
4) Deauthorize iPad on my computer
4) Jump for joy. :D

Is there a better/easier or more thorough way to make sure none of my saved info gets to the new owner but he can still use the stuff I bought from iTunes?

celsius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can leave all the apps for the new owner, as you do not lose anything. You do not gain anything if you wipe it clean.

Be sure to remove all account and log in details.

New owner will not be able to update any of the apps.
He/she cannot retore them if updated to new OS as they cannot be transferred to his/her own PC without the original account owner authorisation.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, that's what I'm trying to do, basically give them my whole iTunes account along with the iPad. Is that not possible?

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The apps are all linked to your account name, if that changes the apps won't update and will need to be re-purchased by the new owner. In other words, the apps belong to your account name, not to the iDevice that it's on. New account name = purchase apps again.

celsius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, that's what I'm trying to do, basically give them my whole iTunes account along with the iPad. Is that not possible?
Yes that is possible.
It is between you and the new owner.
But it is you who may have trouble becasue of the itunes account some time later.
On the other hand, if the new owner is someone in your family and one you have contact often, I do not see why not.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The apps are all linked to your account name, if that changes the apps won't update and will need to be re-purchased by the new owner. In other words, the apps belong to your account name, not to the iDevice that it's on. New account name = purchase apps again.

Perfectly well said. If had known this....

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Getting ready to sell the iPad and I want to be able to give my app purchases to the new owner. Right now I'm thinking this:

1) Wipe iPad clean

Is there a better/easier or more thorough way to make sure none of my saved info gets to the new owner but he can still use the stuff I bought from iTunes?

So are you getting the iPad 2 or just goin iPadless and not coming here any more?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

1) Wipe iPad clean

Your thinking is completely wrong and is in direct violation of the iTunes Store Terms and Conditions.

Here is a verbatim quote directly from the iTunes Store Terms and Conditions --
You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, transfer redistribute, or sublicense the Licensed Application and, if you sell your Mac Computer or iOS Device to a third party, you must remove the Licensed Application from the Mac Computer or iOS Device before doing so.

Here are the complete Terms and Conditions -- http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts