What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer of images from a PC to an ipad2

friendlyskies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a large library of images to transfer to my ipad2 and show off to the world.
However, when bringing across the images from ITunes by selecting the relevant folder, all the sub folders and their entire contents are thrown into one big folder.
Furthermore, each image loses its carefully crafted title. It is not possoble as far as I can see to get itunes to show the sub folders to select as well.

A visit to a apple store advised me to download an app “Photo Sortâ€, but this just reads what the ipad has messed up as well as assigning each image and name : “untitled photo 0001/2/3 etcâ€

Is there any way of getting the organised structure that I have taken years to set up and title in my PC into the ipad? There are some 2500 images in carefully crafted folders to bring in and I need them to stay in that order.

Grateful for anyone’s advices, applecare have provided me with an email to allow me to get a refund as they do not have an answer to this. They say that the ipad sees the subfolder titles as images and therefore groups all images together under the one main folder title. They can offer no answer to this.

Thanks

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The easiest way would be to share each folder individually in iTunes. Hopefully the folders are not too nested on your PC, otherwise that probably won't help at all.

Lamberterion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't worry Its not a big issue.

You just need four steps for transferring your photos. These are followed as:

Connect your iPad 2 to your PC with the help of a USB cable. Launch iTunes.
Then click on the iPad listed in the "Devices" part.
Click on the "Photos" tab. you have to enable "Sync Photos from" and select the application that the iPad 2 should use for photo sync operations.
Final step is to click on "Apply" button and then click "Sync" to transfer photos from PC to iPad 2.

Try this for once and see the result.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lamberterion said:
Click on the "Photos" tab. you have to enable "Sync Photos from" and select the application that the iPad 2 should use for photo sync operations.
Final step is to click on "Apply" button and then click "Sync" to transfer photos from PC to iPad 2.

Are you sure? I do not recall seeing and option there to sync to a particular app. When you sync photos from, you actually select folders within the My Pictures area of your PC. This is the process the OP is using, but due to their nested folders, the iPad pulls all the pictures into one "album".

I do not see how your suggestion works.

OP
F

friendlyskies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 has it spot on, that's exactly the problem.
One folder has sub and sub-sub, sub-sub-sub folders containing 1099 pictures that all get lumped together in one main folder and rips all their titles off them as well, destroying my neat little reference library.

I am not sure how to cure this as I cant see the ipad on the PC to manually move them on my pc screen.
I tried Lamberterions suggestion, but can't get to the Synch photos from and select the app that it uses to work. There is no way to select an app as far as I can see.
Grateful for any further advice.

serpihankaca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I using an application that is i-funbox.

Very easy way to maintain content from PC to iDevice or vice versa.

TomH309

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just looked into i-FunBox
Download i-FunBox Norton Symantec says this is
malicious software and it has been blocked by them
“dnmgr was blocked from accessing the internet”

Score
Version
License
On Site Since
Author
Last Update:
Language

Freeware
01/July/2010
i-FunBox
08/February/2012
I'm running Windows XP with SP 3 and have kept up with all updates.
My Norton Internet Security Created 11/30/2011 Modified 5/19/2012
AS THEY SAY IN LATIN CAVEAT EMPTOR !

Nads79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You just need four steps for transferring your photos. These are followed as:

Connect your iPad 2 to your PC with the help of a USB cable. Launch iTunes.
Then click on the iPad listed in the "Devices" part.

I have tried this and it keeps saying that there isn't enough memory on my ipad, i am only trying to download 6 photo's and the ipad is only 2 days old

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nads79 said:
I have tried this and it keeps saying that there isn't enough memory on my ipad, i am only trying to download 6 photo's and the ipad is only 2 days old

Check Settings -> General -> About to see how much free spas you have (if any). It could be quite easy to fill up an iPad from the start if you loaded a bunch of apps, music and videos.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a large library of images to transfer to my ipad2 and show off to the world.
However, when bringing across the images from ITunes by selecting the relevant folder, all the sub folders and their entire contents are thrown into one big folder.
Furthermore, each image loses its carefully crafted title. It is not possoble as far as I can see to get itunes to show the sub folders to select as well.

A visit to a apple store advised me to download an app “Photo Sortâ€, but this just reads what the ipad has messed up as well as assigning each image and name : “untitled photo 0001/2/3 etcâ€

Is there any way of getting the organised structure that I have taken years to set up and title in my PC into the ipad? There are some 2500 images in carefully crafted folders to bring in and I need them to stay in that order.

Grateful for anyone’s advices, applecare have provided me with an email to allow me to get a refund as they do not have an answer to this. They say that the ipad sees the subfolder titles as images and therefore groups all images together under the one main folder title. They can offer no answer to this.

Thanks

Have a look at the app iFiles ($3.99, USD, in the App Store). It has a WiFi sharing part in that, with the app open, you can connect to the app/iPad wirelessly using the IP address. You can even use a computer (I use a Windows 7 machine) to add the app/iPad as a Network "drive" on the computer. There's no setup on the iPad - open the app, press the WiFi share button and boom! You are accessing the app (you can even upload/download files using an Internet browser, should you choose to forgo the network option).

But, with the network option (and the point of this post) - you can drag (or cut/paste) folders over into the app via the network connection. The folder will end up in the iFiles app and be named what you initially called it. In addition, if there are folders within the folder you drag - they also go over with the name you gave them (and they will still be in the folder). And, any/all pictures within any/all of the folders will also be dragged along - and keep the names you've assigned. Note that this works with any file you transfer over/put into the iFiles app, not just pictures; the file name will not be modified.

Then, once it's in the app, there are all sorts of options ranging from simple viewing, naming, moving to other folders, saving to the Camera Roll, etc. You can also transfer (wirelessly) those pictures to another iDevice running the app (or any computer with access to a browser) - as long as they are on the same wifi. So, It's very versatile and what I use all the time.

But, the main thing is that you can move your pictures over to the iPad (within this app, of course) and still keep all your folders, file names and photo layouts. Worth a look, maybe?

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts