What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

transfer free books from "KIndle for Mac" to Kindle App on iPad

aeronaut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.aeronaut.be
I have downloaded some free books (legally) and now they appear in my "Kindle for Mac" on my computer.
The only trouble is that I can't figure out how to get them into the Kindle App on my iPad.
Syncing only seems to copy the books I bought on the Amazon Kindle store.

I am in Belgium, so I don't have access to iBooks yet.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
If you have the Kindle app on your iPad, they sync via the Kindle app..... In other words without iTunes. Just open the Kindle app on the iPad and if they are from Amazon, you can get them.

If they are not from amazon, are you able to read them in Kindle for Mac? What format are the books? There are many readers for various formats..... I have 5 readers installed on my pad because I like the freedom to access them all......

OP
A

aeronaut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.aeronaut.be
Thank you for the reply.

I have downloaded some books from this website:
Free Kindle Books offers Free Classic E-Books in Kindle-compatible MOBI and PRC formats

They are in MOBI format.
When I doubleclick the downloads they open in the "Kindle for Mac" application on my computer, and I can read them perfectly.

However, when I open the "Kindle App" on my iPad the free books I downloaded are not transferred to my iPad.
I tried to sync, both from the "Kindle for Mac" app on my computer, and on the "Kindle App" on my iPad. This does only seem to transfer the books I bought on the Amazon Kindle store, but not the free books I downloaded from the website above.
Syncing via iTunes does not have any effect either, but I did not expect that would be a solution either.

I hope this better explains my problem.

Jef
index

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I understand.... It will take a bit to get the hang of this, but once you know how it all works it pretty easy....

Download Calibre calibre - Download calibre to your computer. Import your mobipocket books into it. Convert them to ePub. Import them into iTunes, and they will work in the iBooks app on your iPad.

If you don't have a lot of them just go to http://www.2epub.com/ and convert them to ePub, import into iTunes, and read them in the iBooks app....

Last edited:
OP
A

aeronaut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.aeronaut.be
Thanks Bremen,

I understand, however, I only have an account at the Belgian iTunes store and unfortunately we cannot download the iBooks app yet.
Neither the iWorks apps and the iPad App Store are available for us, although we can buy/download most iPad apps via the regular iTunes store.
I think this will remain the case until the iPad is officially released in Belgium, but this may possible take a while.

Jef

PS. I'm listening to your music now, nice!

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
There is still a way :)

Do a search in the app store for "stanza". It is an iPhone app, but works on the iPad. You will also need to install the desktop version on your computer to transfer files. Find the stanza website in google and download and install to desktop version....

Stanza will read your mobipocket books, so just transfer and read..... It is not very pretty since it is an iPhone aoo, but click it double size and it will work....

Transfering books is a bit tricky, but it does work.....

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
And in case you had trouble finding it, this is a link to the stanza desktop download
http://www.lexcycle.com/download
---------------------------

Here is one way to transfer books from the desktop stanza to your iPad stanza....

Launch Stanza Desktop.

Go to File->Open, and open a book or document in one of Stanza's supported formats. Note: The text of eReader books will not be displayed, but you can still use this interface to share books with Stanza iPhone.

Go to the "Tools" menu, and ensure that the "Enable Sharing" menu item is checked.
Ensure that your iPhone is connected to the same wireless network that your PC is on.

Launch Stanza on your iPhone.

From the top-level library menu, select "Shared Books". You should see your computer name. Select it.

Stanza Desktop will then notify you that your iPhone is attempting to connect to your shared library, and request your permission to allow the connection.

Once you have granted permission, Stanza iPhone will display a list of books that are open in Stanza Desktop.

Tap on the book to download it Stanza on your iPhone. It will appear in Titles and Recent Downloads.

Last edited:
OP
A

aeronaut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.aeronaut.be
Thank you very much for your help Bremen, got it!

I hope anyway that I'll be able to get the iBook app soon from our store.

Guy.W

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know this is a bit after the event and you may have a solution, but I just came across this when I was trying to figure out the same sort of thing - kindle-formatted ebooks (legal!) that I had on my PC.

It works via Dropbox. What you do is copy the files from your Kindle content folder on your PC to the Dropbox folder there and then open Dropbox on your iPad. You then try to open each file in Dropbox and will be told it can't open it, but in the top right, there's the icon for Open With and you'll find the Kindle app shown when you select it. Open in Kindle, the file will be sync'd to your Kindle library and you can then delete it from your Dropbox folder.

It will then exist separately on the iPad and your PC, so bookmarks, etc., won't be syn'd between them, but it will at least be readable.

PRJoseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found an easier way to transfer your Kindle free books into ipad using iTunes and Kindle for PC. Select your ipad in iTunes under devices to access the Apps menu. Scroll down to File sharing section and highlight Kindle for PC apps. Click add to select folder on your PC that contains your Kindle books. You should see a list of your books and select the books you want to add. Note you can do CTRL-click or Shift-click to select a range of books.

LKT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plug in iPad, open iTunes, and click on Apps tab. Scroll down to File Sharing and click on the Kindle app. Click "add ..." Go to your downloads folder and put "Kindle" in the search box. All your Kindle books will be listed. Click on the one you want, click open, book appears in Kindle Documents box in iTunes. Sync - job done.

Most reactions

Latest posts