What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPU case that's *really* smart-cover compatible?

eN0ch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.fullofgraceandtruth.net
Does anyone have a positive experience with a TPU case (preferably clear) that really does play well with the smart-cover?

I took a punt on a cheap one on ebay from Hong Kong (yeah I know ... but it was really cheap ... ).

It kinda' works with the smart-cover, but not really. Certainly has the right gap for the magnetic hinge, and the cover does close sufficiently to sleep the device. However the case has enough of a ridge around the three sides (plus rear corners) that the cover doesn't really sit flush. In fact if you hold the iPad upside down by the edges, the cover just falls open in response to gravity. And I can see the corners of the cover getting misshapen over time if I keep using it.

I've googled around and seen a few pics of similar covers that appear to have less of a ridge, but I'm just not sure enough.

I want a case that fits the following criteria:
  • clear
  • snug fit ...
  • ... but removable reasonably easily, and without risk of breaking or weakening
  • good non-slip textured kind of feel ...
  • ... but still sliding in and out of a bag easily
  • sufficiently compatible with smart-cover that it sits flush over the screen (to more or less the same extent that it would without a case)

Can anyone recommend anything? Thanks.

oscarrod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think your best bet would be going with the smart hard cases that don't have a lip on the front (which provides the closest fit for the smart cover).

OP
E

eN0ch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, oscarrod. Is there a particular one you'd suggest? Also what are they like in the tactile sense? They look to me to be rather smooth and shiny, but maybe some of them aren't? And some also sound like they're not really intended for frequent removal.

So is there one out there that would fit all my criteria?

Thanks.

oscarrod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a TPU and a Hard case. The hard case I have is smooth and glossy but in my opinion, that makes it very grippy. I also have a clear TPU case, but from what you are describing, it is almost identical. I don't have the issue's you seem to be experiencing (at least not as much). A seller I subscribed to on eBay has the cases I purchased Cimo Cases items - Get great deals on Nexus One Cases, Chargers items on eBay Stores! I also see a carbon fiber case (dont have that one). It looks like what you might like since it looks like it has a texture on the back.

lukeskywalker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my TPU companion case from casewisestore.com. It is great product and very high quality. Very thin and works fine with my smart cover.

tibob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my bad, yup its hard case but outter shell feels like a mixture of hard plastic and rubber combined (not smooth) providing good grip.

OP
E

eN0ch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
well funnily enough ... I've just been shopping and found that very case in one shop. The salesperson was kind enough to let me open the package and try it on my ipad. Certainly works very nicely with the smartcover, and there's no trouble getting the sync / charge cable plugged or unplugged.

And as far as the grip goes ... I think I'd agree with you. Although it's really a hard case, it does seem to have just enough silicon (?) content to have a non-slip kind of surface.

30 secs thinking it over in the shop .. took the plunge and bought it. It's all good now.

Thanks everyone for the wisdom. Case closed (pun semi-intended) :)

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Be careful buying the Belkin snap shield! Although it's an awesome cover, several of us have had the corners crack and break for no apparent reason other than stress fractures. Buyer beware!

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts