What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Touch screen problems - ipad 3

Shannonwillems

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope I am not messing anything up here, I just replied to another post talking about touch screen problems, but maybe I should have just started another thread. Please let me know if I am doing this wrong. Here is my problem:
my ipad does not seem to respond to my touch most of the time. I can touch any of the options on the frount of my ipad 3, they respond by highlighting, but they don't open up, I can't get the keys on the keyboard to respond either. Sometimes after touching it over and over, I might get a responce, but not very often. I tried a hard boot and it didn't seem to help. I have been using the ipad for a month. My grandaughter was using a painting app and I turned my back for a minute and now I can't seem to get it to respond to my touch. She had the screen zoomed way in so everything was really big, and there was audio responce to any touch. I seem to have that fixed, but I can't get the touch pads to respond properly. Any ideas - shannon

eureka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shannonwillems said:
I hope I am not messing anything up here, I just replied to another post talking about touch screen problems, but maybe I should have just started another thread. Please let me know if I am doing this wrong. Here is my problem:
my ipad does not seem to respond to my touch most of the time. I can touch any of the options on the frount of my ipad 3, they respond by highlighting, but they don't open up, I can't get the keys on the keyboard to respond either. Sometimes after touching it over and over, I might get a responce, but not very often. I tried a hard boot and it didn't seem to help. I have been using the ipad for a month. My grandaughter was using a painting app and I turned my back for a minute and now I can't seem to get it to respond to my touch. She had the screen zoomed way in so everything was really big, and there was audio responce to any touch. I seem to have that fixed, but I can't get the touch pads to respond properly. Any ideas - shannon

Hello, I had a similar situation. My fix was to thoroughly clean the screen . Little fingers covered in goo can create havoc on the iPad. -:). Fortunately for me I was using a screen protector and it saved my new iPad 3 from further harm. Big kids and iPad are fine, little kids with greasy fingers are not. I hope that this fixes it.

I have also found that occasionally when using certain graphics applications the keyboard will no longer pop up and the the screen becomes totally unresponsive. This sounds like what you are experiencing also. The only way I could fix that was by holing the power key and the iPad button down simultaneously. This rebooted the iPad and it worked fine. There has just been a new fix pushed by Apple and hopefully this glitch will disappear.

Hope this helps.

OP
S

Shannonwillems

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - I too have a screen protector on, and I did just clean it and I have tried the hard reboot by holding the 2 buttons down and waiting for the apple image to reappear - but it doesn't seem to have helped. any other ideas - thanks
Shannon

eureka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shannonwillems said:
Thanks - I too have a screen protector on, and I did just clean it and I have tried the hard reboot by holding the 2 buttons down and waiting for the apple image to reappear - but it doesn't seem to have helped. any other ideas - thanks
Shannon

There was a recent update, pushed by Apple, did you see it? It should appear in the settings button. The only other alternative is to do a restore from a previous backup, you can do this via ITunes. If that does not work the next step is to restore it to "as new" in ITunes. This takes you back to factory settings. If that does not work I would take it to the Apple store and let them sort it our.

:)

eureka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shannonwillems said:
Shannon

Hello there is another cause of the disappearing keyboard. It just happened to me. Go to settings and see if by any chance there is a wireless keyboard in your house. If it has paired with your iPad the iPad own keyboard will not show up! I spent an hour looking for a fault -:)

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
eureka said:
Hello there is another cause of the disappearing keyboard. It just happened to me. Go to settings and see if by any chance there is a wireless keyboard in your house. If it has paired with your iPad the iPad own keyboard will not show up! I spent an hour looking for a fault -:)

how the heck does a wireless keyboard pair itself with the iPad??? 8-O
I had to enter the correct key first...

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Ah, but if has been paired previously, any subsequent turning on of the keyboard (and with the iPad's Bluetooth on) will have it automatically syncing with the iPad, thus causing your onscreen keyboard to "disappear." I had this happen once to me, and couldn't figure out why I wasn't seeing the keyboard - until I realized that my Apple wireless keyboard was in in the other room. Red faced time ... !

Shannon - you mentioned having the zoom on and having the voice response. Have you ensured you've got all the accessibility features turned off? In your Settings app, go to General > Accessibility and make sure every toggle is turned off. It may be that one is still on and is messing with normal input.

Maybe that helps?

Marilyn

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Shannon and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

eureka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hpulmer said:

The keyboard was already paired but turned off. Somehow it got bumped and it turned on. This caused the iPad own keypad to be turned off. By the way when I installed the wireless Apple keyboard it did not ask me for a password. It paired without it.

Most reactions

Latest posts