What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too late for 4.3.1

snowzone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep my iPad untethered for the most part so I haven't updated my firmware for a while. I'm stuck at 4.3.1. I can't save the SHSH for it. I get the "you are just too late" error showing up in the TU log. Am I really stuck or should I chance it and move on to 4.3.4 firmware? Is jb'ing completely out of the question?

Sorry for the dumb questions. Completely new to jb'ing and I don't want to brick my iPad :(

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like you can JB iPad 1 via pwnage tool and redsn0w but it is a tethered jailbreak.

I really appreciate you trying to assist folks, but can you please watch the linking out to other blogs when we have perfectly good resources of our own? Check our rules please. We frown on promoting other sites if we have the info here...

This thread contains all the info the OP may need about how to jailbreak any version of IOS for any device (and there is a wealth of other info in our various stickies)
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24377-jailbreaking-methods-ipad.html

Hopefully if they have an iPad1, they can use redsn0w on 4.3.1 and have an untethered JB. If however they have an iPad2, they will be out of luck. Alternatively, as you said, they could upgrade to 4.3.4 and have a tethered jailbreak, but as the OP stated they never go near their PC with their iPad often, that would probalby NOT be a very good choice for them.

Hope that clarifies.

Last edited:
OP
S

snowzone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I'll read that first. I have an iPad 1 still at 4.3.1. I don't HAVE to have an unthethered jb but I would really like a plan B in case something goes horribly wrong.

My plan C on a bricked iPad is to just go buy another one :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the differences between 4.3.1 and 4.3.4 are absolutely minimal. A few minor bug fixes.

I would strongly suggest you JB your 4.3.1 iPad using redsn0w which is untethered. We have a detailed tutorial in our guides section. Look it up :)

If you ever get into serious problems, be assured, you CANNOT brick an iPad. Worst that will happen is you will have to restore to 4.3.4. From there, you can choose to run a tethered JB using redsn0w again (plan B!), or leave it as stock. It is up to you.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
S

snowzone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That helps a great deal! I reran TU and got the 4.3.4 (and a few of 5's).

Next time I post it should be after a successful jb. Thanks again.

OP
S

snowzone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad jailbroken. It was a bit anti-climactic :)

There wasn't a Mac version of iFaith so I had to fire up a win xp vm and run it there. Took a few tries to get I ti DFU mode. Backed up my SHSH blobs.

Once cydia was installed, I installed dospad, openssh scp'd a dos version of perl, ruby, tcl, and vim.

Now to explore what cydia has to offer.

Many thanks to all who helped.

OP
S

snowzone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I switched cydia to developer. Found all the goodies i was looking for :)

MobileTerminal in the store is really outdated. It was at r364 which at 4.3.* wilk crash immediately on launch, so i updated it to r520.

So far no regrets on the jb :)

Confucious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.iphone-dev.org
You're completely new to Jailbreaking and you switched cydia to developer? Why?

I am not completely new to Jailbreaking and I wouldn't dream of doing that.

I would only install something not available to a 'user' under strict instructions from a developer and with them talking me through every step

You are asking for trouble. Please don't blame Jailbreaking when you get it.

OP
S

snowzone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New to jailbreaking. But i know my way around the unix command line, and what not to touch, etc.

For me jailbreaking was a means to an end, and i knew that jb'ing was a moving target when it came to firmware versions vs jb software/techniques, i wanted to get the jb right the first time.

Most reactions

Latest posts