What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Cook sees tablets overtaking PC sales in just two years

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
tim-cook.jpg

You don’t see too many interviews with Apple’s CEO, Tim Cook, as he seems to be quite discreet about his plans running the company. But this week, Bloomberg Businessweek published a rare, and quite interesting interview with mister Cook. Yesterday, we also reported that he has now joined Twitter, and we hope he’ll use it frequently.

Tim Cook discussed about why Nokia failed and talking about the iPhone 5c, he said that Apple doesn't chase the low-end market, referring to it as “junk businessâ€.

When asked about the tablets vs PC fight, Apple’s CEO reiterated his strong belief that tablets are going to win soon, saying:

"The tablet market in some ways is the smartphone market, just with a lot more players in it... I have always said that the tablet market was going to surpass the PC market. I was saying that well before it was viewed to be sane to say that. It's clear that we're 24 months away from that.â€

What do you think? Is this a good estimate or it might take a little longer until we reach that moment?

Source: Bloomberg Businessweek

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Two years is a pretty aggressive estimate. We are seeing many casual users switch over to mainly tablet usage for basic media consumption but even these people still have a laptop or PC in the house just in case. As for heavy gamers, developers, business users.....not so fast. Tablet screens are only so big. The lack of a mouse can be a big hindrance. Sound is weak on most of them. You must add keyboards and other peripherals to get the same functionality as a PC so they become not so portable after you do all that. Lots of factors to consider. iPad a are even more restrictive due to lack of ports and printing headaches.

So, in summary: the casual user has already gone mostly tablet. The average user has both in their arsenal. The power users still use PCs for most major tasks and gaming. This balance will shift as the years go by but two years isn't enough time, IMO. More like ten years.

For the record, I use both but DO spend more time on my iPad than on my Windows 7 based laptop.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dell Boys nightmare :D Maybe the PC companies should return the share holders money and switch the lights off when they leave ;)

Callihan_44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two years is a pretty aggressive estimate. We are seeing many casual users switch over to mainly tablet usage for basic media consumption but even these people still have a laptop or PC in the house just in case. As for heavy gamers, developers, business users.....not so fast. Tablet screens are only so big. The lack of a mouse can be a big hindrance. Sound is weak on most of them. You must add keyboards and other peripherals to get the same functionality as a PC so they become not so portable after you do all that. Lots of factors to consider. iPad a are even more restrictive due to lack of ports and printing headaches.

So, in summary: the casual user has already gone mostly tablet. The average user has both in their arsenal. The power users still use PCs for most major tasks and gaming. This balance will shift as the years go by but two years isn't enough time, IMO. More like ten years.

For the record, I use both but DO spend more time on my iPad than on my Windows 7 based laptop.

I agree, I think of tablets as a consumption device ...hardcore computing still requires a PC. Most people though just want to do simple tasks but as demand for tablets keeps going up I'm sure companies will accommodate and tablet may eventually become do all devices.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree, I think of tablets as a consumption device ...hardcore computing still requires a PC. Most people though just want to do simple tasks but as demand for tablets keeps going up I'm sure companies will accommodate and tablet may eventually become do all devices.

The thing is that in order for the tablet to be able to do anything and everything will require it to be bulkier, more expensive, and not very tablet-like. Tablets must have long lasting batteries, easy portability, and simple touch interfaces. If any of that goes away you don't really have a tablet anymore. Not saying they can't get close..... We shall see.

Most reactions

Latest posts