What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Threat to PCs.

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple's (AAPL) new iPad, a lightweight device that browses the Web and delivers media, may serve as an alternative to netbooks and pose a threat to PC makers.

While the iPad is not a full-fledged PC, it's capable of handling many of the tasks consumers deem important in netbooks, stripped-down notebooks that have surged in popularity in recent years. In a lightweight package, the iPad provides access to e-mail, the Internet, and digital media such as electronic books.........

Keep reading at:
The iPad Threat to PCs - BusinessWeek

kbregnar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RE Threat to PCs

Really? Seriously? What go go juice are you drinking cause I'd like some. Why would I pay $500 for an iPad when I can get a netbook with a full keyboard with way more horsepower, full Win7 OS, DVD player, wireless capability, etc.... for less? Most netbooks are about the same size and weigh slightly more. I cannot even see how I would carry an iPad any differently than a netbook. I would certainly have to get a man purse or something to carry the thing around. It doesn't fit in your pocket like an iPhone or any other smart phone. It doesn't have a camera. Frankly, besides the bigger screeen, it gives me way less capability than the iPhone and for $300 more.

I think this will be Apple's next BIG Flop next to Apple TV.

The only chance Apple has is to get into the vertical markets like the medical field where professionals can carry them around to work with their patients, but that is an up hill battle with the insurance and medical industry. Not something Apple has really been successful at so far.

Just my thoughts.

Ninja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple's (AAPL) new iPad, a lightweight device that browses the Web and delivers media, may serve as an alternative to netbooks and pose a threat to PC makers.

While the iPad is not a full-fledged PC, it's capable of handling many of the tasks consumers deem important in netbooks, stripped-down notebooks that have surged in popularity in recent years. In a lightweight package, the iPad provides access to e-mail, the Internet, and digital media such as electronic books.........

Keep reading at:

No, No, did I mention No!?

The only thing attractive about the iPad is that AT&T cut a deal for $30 for the "unlimited" (it's not really unlimited) data plan. We will see if the set a new price point for netbooks. That would encourage a lot of people to get online with their netbooks.

Steve lied. Without Flash you can not access "all the internet".

OP
DG~X

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Keep reading at:

Steve lied. Without Flash you can not access "all the internet".

lol. That is so true but that really isnt a big problem since the all mighty youtube is there. And i heard you can see youtube in HDMI on the ipad.

Ninja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking of not buying anymore laptops - the iPad is enough for me. :)

Good for you. (Seriously) If you have examined its capabilities and it meets your needs, then you have made an informed and wise choice.

Enjoy!
:)

terry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An ipad wouldn't work for me at all. Perhaps if I were retired it would but I doubt it. Tablets that could do this hae been out for years. Now they release the ipad when other tablets are coming out with all the bells and whistles? Way to drop the ball.

Tablet Junkie, would you settle for something that was inferior to something else? Especially when the better product was the same size and had a similar price point?

IMO, people need to put there foot down and say hey, this isn't what I want. I want more for my money. I want what I know apple CAN do, but haven't yet.

I already know what's going to happen with this pad. Next year, they will add a cam. The following year they will add usb ports. The year after that they will add a processor capable of multitasking. See how that works. Apple is the worst at this. But I do love my touch. lol

scotty frank

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is a cool gadget but does not threaten the pc/netbook world at all. The iPad is appealing and might be a nice little thing to take with you on short trips so that you can facebook and what-not. But in my opinion to a business person the iPad seems useless compared to a netbook. But for the different audiences in the world you will never eliminate a technology. I mean for petes sake people still run DOS.

Most reactions

Latest posts