What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This can't be good news for the iPad

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Competition is always good. I do think the displays e-ink mode is interesting.

It's pretty clear, though that this is way behind the curve when it comes to the UI.

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The interface is not as slick as the iPad, but, (at least on paper) it has some technical advantages over the iPad. The iPad biggest advantage is in the software. Apps, iBooks etc, with iPad you know you will have stuff written for it. As good as Notion Ink's Atom looks to be, I'll be nervous about getting it, simply because I not sure software will be written to take advantage of it.

OP
M

mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But being open, able to use the entire web and a wider choice of OSs doesn't it mean this kind of device has more software available to it that the iPad (basically everything except Apple apps)?

iDoug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks pretty cool, but I think the apps and programs that will come with the :ipad-keyboard: will look amazing and work flawlessly!

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has more software possibilities, which does not equate to actual support. Gameloft for one has backed away from Android (for now). Then again it *should* benifit from the more pervasive use of Android on smart phones.

Anyone got a price point on it yet? With those specs it's not going to be cheap. Not with both the LCD screen and E-ink in the same display.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, competition is always good. The Notion Ink Tablet looks to be very cool.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, competition is always good. The Notion Ink Tablet looks to be very cool.

Yeah the Notion Ink can be a good competitor but this products is not the final version ( i already see 3 different version) he have some good point like the rotative web cam in the reverse he is not so slim so carry it will not be so simple ...

the main problem i see with all competitor of Apple :ipad-keyboard: will be the '' App store '' and distribution channel the best example is the Nexus one fail because he doesn't have a strong distribution channel ...

i believe in the coming few month lot of tablet will come out but how many will survive this is the big question ... the last will be the update question like all mobile in Android 1,5 have to stay in 1,5 ( or too difficult for upgrade to 2.0/2.1 )

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think IpadOne hit it right on the button. The Apples' distribution channel is the iPad's biggest advantage. Apple has done a great job of attracting developers to the app store. Despite being open the Android OS has not done as good a job at attracting developers.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will still be buying an iPad. However when (if) this Notion Ink comes out, I'll buy it and sell the iPad. The 16 hours of battery life while watching video has me intrigued. The Google OS is still in it's infancy, however it is being supported pretty well, as time goes on it will get better apps. Kinda like Xbox 360 vs PS3, when the PS3 first came out, everyone knocked it for it's game library, but now it's got some truly great games available.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One more tablet

@Superbike

As you say if .... this the biggest question, for example i know well the Joojoo company (we are located in the same city) in private they say we are not sure our tablet will come out as we need fund and the distributor are too cold for place order.

As i develop many electronics products i know well how you need the funding before you're products come out .... for example if you want to develop a complete dock for Ipad (like the one we are developing yet) you need to put upfront at least 200.000€ if you put less you're products will just be mixed with all crapy stuff from China (or similar country) so just imagine how much cost a full tablet development .....

Anyway as i always say competition is good for the business

I will still be buying an iPad. However when (if) this Notion Ink comes out, I'll buy it and sell the iPad. The 16 hours of battery life while watching video has me intrigued. The Google OS is still in it's infancy, however it is being supported pretty well, as time goes on it will get better apps. Kinda like Xbox 360 vs PS3, when the PS3 first came out, everyone knocked it for it's game library, but now it's got some truly great games available.

Most reactions

Latest posts