What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about getting an iPad

freeman3030

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm thinking about getting an iPad but I don't know whether my heart is ruling over my head!

So have a few questions to ask to help determine whether I need one or not!

1) I would like to use it as a MP3 player, but obviously as it's so large it wont fit in my pocket... if I have it in a messenger bag can I connect wireless headphones to it? Also can you get headphones with the ability to skip tracks / adjust volume etc?

2) I've been looking into Airport express, but I want to see if I've understood this correctly:
You have to have the PC on to use the iPad as a remote control? Is there no way of cutting out the PC and stream the music straight from the iPad to the speakers?

3) Does the iPad have a microphone so I can use skype? Also - is there any sort of external webcam accessory as it doesn't have a built-in camera?

4) I like reading magazines, is there a website with a list of what magazines are available to purchase? (do you buy rights to read them for a set time period, or are they yours for life?

Thats all I can think of that I need to ask at the moment, any help much appreciated.
Many thanks

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm thinking about getting an iPad but I don't know whether my heart is ruling over my head!

So have a few questions to ask to help determine whether I need one or not!

1) I would like to use it as a MP3 player, but obviously as it's so large it wont fit in my pocket... if I have it in a messenger bag can I connect wireless headphones to it? Also can you get headphones with the ability to skip tracks / adjust volume etc?

2) I've been looking into Airport express, but I want to see if I've understood this correctly:
You have to have the PC on to use the iPad as a remote control? Is there no way of cutting out the PC and stream the music straight from the iPad to the speakers?

3) Does the iPad have a microphone so I can use skype? Also - is there any sort of external webcam accessory as it doesn't have a built-in camera?

4) I like reading magazines, is there a website with a list of what magazines are available to purchase? (do you buy rights to read them for a set time period, or are they yours for life?

Thats all I can think of that I need to ask at the moment, any help much appreciated.
Many thanks

1) Yes it will work with Bluetooth headphones, and you can skip tracks back and forth with them.

2) No idea.

3) Yep it's got a mic. No idea on using Skype.

4) Magazines are currently working 2 ways - the publishers create their own app to distribute the mag (Wired is a good example), or they license a service to convert each issue and distribute it for them (Zinio, Pixelmag). Either way, you have the content forever.

The annoying thing about the individual apps is you've got an app icon for every issue, meaning over time you could have screens and screens icons for one magazine. The plus is that these are the apps with multimedia content - music, video, interactive ads, all the bells and whistles that show off the iPad.

The magazine services tend to do simple text conversions; you're just readingthe print version on a screen. But the magazine is organized under a single icon, and these take up a LOT less space than the above.

hth

OP
F

freeman3030

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for late reply, have been away :) Thank you for your response.

Can anyone tell me whether the UK magazine 'Closer' is available on the iPad? And also how do prices compare? Are they the same as a paper back equivalent or cheaper/dearer?

I'm literally dying for an iPad now, they look so good!

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2. No, you need a computer, but you can still stream your music, just not from the iPad. You would use iTunes. That's how I stream all my music.

FWIW Airport Express seems to me to work better when you use it with a Mac Computer as opposed to Windows. Granted I was using Windows XP so I don't know if it works better with Windows 7 or not.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry for late reply, have been away :) Thank you for your response.

Can anyone tell me whether the UK magazine 'Closer' is available on the iPad? And also how do prices compare? Are they the same as a paper back equivalent or cheaper/dearer?

I'm literally dying for an iPad now, they look so good!

If you're in the US and like magazines from the UK, the iPad is great for 2 reasons - you get the magazine on the day of release (instead of 2-3 weeks later at news stands), and the iPad version is always cheaper by about half.

I see no reference to Closer being available in the app store.

BAC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In response to Question 3. I do not use Skype, but i saw Scosche is coming out with a camera adapter, says it will retail for about $100, saw this as a sneak peak in ilounge.com 's best of guide for 2010 on their website.

Most reactions

Latest posts