What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Theokf Business user of IPAD 2

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
I guess the way I see it is no different than someone coming to Windows from, say, Linux and saying how it doesn't work for them. It does work (and extremely well IMHO), but perhaps not in the same fashion as you would like.

It sounds like your expectations may not have been realistic. You mention wanting to use Facebook as well as MS Office. Try keeping in mind the iPad is NOT a replacement for a computer; PC or Mac, desktop or laptop. If that's what you're hoping for I'm afraid you'll just be disappointed. It does an enormous amount of things very well and meets millions of folk's needs, but it's certainly not for everyone.

Rather than engage in a conversation about how right or wrong the iPad is for you (or how right or wrong Apple is in doing what they do), it's probably best to simply learn more about it. We're here to help anytime and as Gabriel points out all you have to do is ask.

I think you hit the mail on the head. My expectations may be off of what is delivered. The form factor is just so good and to tell you the truth the commercials set people up. I can't understand why the focus would not be business. I've made the investment and I'm not one to quit on something easily. But I only give credit to that which deserves it and unfortunately the criticism I make is valid. Once MS Office us ported to this platform much of my concerns should be resolved. We all have our needs and as the client base expands more people like me will drive the development that is underway. Yes I do want this to replace my laptop. Why not?
Well, now you're getting into philosophical areas and why Apple has chosen to do what they do. You may agree or disagree with how things are going however as Apple is now the most highly valued company on earth (double that of Google and on their way to a higher market value than both Microsoft and Google combined) with the highest PC customer satisfaction rating for the eighth year in a row I think it's safe to say that they know a little bit about what they're doing. But that takes us back to the "They're not doing what I want them to do (run MS Office on the iPad, replace my laptop with an iPad, etc.)" discussion and it's really a moot point. If there is enough demand the market will fill the need. Whether Apple does that or someone else does remains to be seen. You can guess where my money is.

FWIW porting MS Office to the iPad is wholly up to Microsoft. My guess is that they have deployed no money toward that effort, banking on the release of their own Windows/Metro "one platform to rule them all" tablet that they hope to make available sometime next year...maybe. BTW I find it interesting how future Microsoft products are always slated to beat current Apple products time and time again.

Per the link I posted earlier as well as numerous other articles including this one from Bloomberg, Apple is obviously moving into the enterprise market in a very big way. Consumer satisfaction with Apple products is putting more and more pressure on businesses to switch. Of course the challenge is dealing with established corporate IT paradigms. To paraphrase a MacWorld op-ed piece, "You’ve got a giant installed base of enterprise zealots who blindly install whatever [Microsoft programs] you tell them like they’re reading from a hymnal!" Yes, we Apple types can use religious metaphors when describing PC types as well. ;)

In their last earnings call Apple announced that over 80 percent of the Fortune 100 are already deploying or piloting the iPad. With the extraordinary high adoption rate of Apple products including the iPhone, Mac computers and now the iPad in the enterprise market I'm guessing you'll have the programs and capabilities you'd like (or likely something much better) in due course...so hang in there! :)

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For those that seem to want Office on the iPad, let me ask why? I once did, and now I do not care. I love Office, especially Word, but Pages will do exactly what I need to do, for 90% of my work.

I must ask what features do you want from Office and why is Office so vital to some people?

I use Bento for lists, simple databases, and generally keeping track of stuff, etc. I use Knowtilus Pro for web surfing because it is faster than Safari and it includes many interesting features. I use Zen Viewer for, well, viewing files, Drop Box for dropping stuff, and iFile for accessing documents stored on MicroSD cards. I do not need PowerPoint or Access.

Office is likely not going to be available, so I assembled my own "Suite" from other programs. I can be just as productive with what I have and I see no need for MS-Office on the iPad unless it is so way cool, I cannot resist.

iCan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bob Maxey said:
For those that seem to want Office on the iPad, let me ask why? I once did, and now I do not care. I love Office, especially Word, but Pages will do exactly what I need to do, for 90% of my work.

I must ask what features do you want from Office and why is Office so vital to some people?

I use Bento for lists, simple databases, and generally keeping track of stuff, etc. I use Knowtilus Pro for web surfing because it is faster than Safari and it includes many interesting features. I use Zen Viewer for, well, viewing files, Drop Box for dropping stuff, and iFile for accessing documents stored on MicroSD cards. I do not need PowerPoint or Access.

Office is likely not going to be available, so I assembled my own "Suite" from other programs. I can be just as productive with what I have and I see no need for MS-Office on the iPad unless it is so way cool, I cannot resist.

If it wasn't for my work then I wouldn't be too bothered....though in saying that, this is my iPad and work did not buy it for me so I shouldn't be expected to use it in a working capacity, but I just find it handier to email etc on it so if there was an office for it then id prob use it more when out and about with work....

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions