What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The New iPad 3 Retina Display VS. iPad 2 Display BATTLE!

PhilSynowiec

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

This video is a comparison of the iPad 3 2048x1536 Retina Display to the iPad 2 1024x768 Display. This iPad 3 has a pixel density of 264 ppi while the iPad 2 has a 132 ppi. Although it's somewhat hard to tell on video, hold one of these babies in your hand you can tell the difference. After seeing the iPhone Retina Display then switching to the iPad 2, it was hard to go back. Gave me less motivation to actually read on the iPad 2. Now we are all up to date with our tablets having one of the most crisp mobile displays currently possible. More iPad 3 videos and news in on its way, STAY TUNED!

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfseye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, considering i bought my iPad2 2 months ago, I'd say even the mighty Retina display won't change that I can't Edited by Moderator - please watch your language, we are a family friendly forum money out of thin air :) which means I am still happy with my iPad2 for the time being. And come there 2013, we get a new iPad for sure.
Because in the end, as nice as the display of the new iPad is, it still feels more like a iPad2S than really a iPad3. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Androidfonefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have only seen articles on the IP3s display, but at aprox 4 the pixles as the IP2 I don't see how the screen can't look better, having said that, owning the IP2, the screen is near spectacular.
Getting better than that the 3 must be like looking through a window.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

ChrisP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought my iPad2 looked awesome...until I got the 3....saturation and crispness are stunning....

Worth the price of admission? personal preference....I had an unexpected bonus hit on launch day...so I treated myself to a present....

Canth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I now have the new iPad and to look at the screen to see that it's any better than the iPad 2 you have to look very closely when in normal use. However when watching films the retina display really comes into its own. The screen is absolutely clear and crisp. On my iPad 2 scanning barcodes was very hard, on the new iPad is extremely easy the barcode is read before it is even lined up properly. Book displays when using the Kindle app are very very good. I went to the new iPad because I needed more memory for what I was using the iPad for. The only thing that's a bit of a disappointment is the things I'm hearing about 4G. I need to find out more information about 4G to fully understand whether it's usable in the UK when 4G is available.

Wingless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Androidfonefan said:
I have only seen articles on the IP3s display, but at aprox 4 the pixles as the IP2 I don't see how the screen can't look better, having said that, owning the IP2, the screen is near spectacular.
Getting better than that the 3 must be like looking through a window.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Well I thought the same, but you look closely to your iPads home screen for example, real close at icons you see the very small black lines, or grid? It looks like a real small black grid on your whole screen, in between the pixels, well those are no where to be seen on the new iPad and it's great, as well as the edges on your icons are not pixelated either.

Jones_jt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just looking at the difference on photos (from years ago) - there is no comparison. The new iPad beats it hands down. Stunning display.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have both. I can vouch for the others who say the new display kicks butt on the iPad 2. At first, it takes a little getting used to and you do notice right away subtle differences. But as you get to using it more, you begin to realize that it's a whole lot sharper, fair bit brighter, richer saturation and somewhat easier on the eyes. Looking back at the iPad 2, it's almost crappy in comparison (though it's a nice display still).

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Jason85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The difference is so slight to my eyes...it almost makes no sense in upgrading from the iPad 2. I also do not notice the faster processor and find it cumbersome to try and take a picture with it.

But I will keep the iPad 3 for portability ease. It doesn't do everything a laptop does...but it comes pretty close. It is decent at being a remote log in server when I am out and about.

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just got back from the Verizon store comparing the iPad 3 to the 2. They guy brought a 2 so I could compare. To be honest, with the exception of text, I did NOT see that much of a difference...and this is a SIDE BY SIDE comparison! Text did look a bit better..but the 2 still is NOT bad on the eyes. But videos & apps (games) weren't that much better. I do understand that the developers haven't created apps to utilize the new screen yet...but by time there are a lot of "retna apps" on the market we'll be talking about the iPad 4!!

rexboe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was going to buy my mom's iPad 2 when she upgraded to the new iPad but after seeing her display I bought a new iPad and she sold the iPad 2 on eBay.

butterfly68za

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seriously, the users that can hardly see any difference in the screens really need to have their eyes checked o_O

I put on my glasses, and ... WOW !!!

If buying the new iPad over the iPad 2 is all about the screen, count me in! I can't wait for the new iPad to arrive in our country, South Africa !!!

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts