What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Majority of iOS Users Prefer Free iOS Games Supported with Advertisements

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
ios-gamers-620x497.jpg

According to a fresh study conducted by Wild Tangent and analytics firm IHS Technology, it seems that most of iPhone and iPad owners prefer iOS games that are available for free and supported with advertising. These games are also referred to as “freemiumâ€, a wordplay between “free†and “premiumâ€. The survey queried 500 iOS users and discovered that 86 percent of respondents said they prefer free games with ads over paid games without ads.

When asked about their preference for the types of games online gamers preferred, advertising supported games were chosen by the vast majority of those surveyed. 70% of respondents said they preferred free games supported by advertising and 16% preferred freemium games with the option to pay for levels in the game. Only 14% preferred online games they had to pay for to play. Gamers also prefer advertising models that give them control over their viewing. When asked if they prefer games that let them choose when and how to view ads over those that do not, 71% preferred that level of control.

Also, 70 percent of them said they prefer free games supported by advertising, while 16 percent were in favor of freemium games with paid levels. Only 14 percent were in favor of paid iOS games, without advertisements, obviously.

Freemium iOS games have become more popular than paid titles in the App Store in the past months. If you will go right now to the App Store, you will see that the majority from the Top Grossing chart are freemium gaming titles. A potential explanation could be the fact that ads have started generating more revenue per user than a potential upfront payment.

However, ads don’t represent the single way for developers to make many, as they rely also on in-app purchases, as well. Some of the most popular freemium apps in the App Store are generating millions of dollars in revenue. Clash of Clans is said to yield around $1 million per day through add-on content, booster packs.

Source: iPhoneForums

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yup!!! Except for words w friends. They bombarded me with adds so badly that I gave in and bought HD. I couldn't take it anymore and I play often.

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I finished all the premium games I want, that's why I just play free games with ads. Its not really that bad though. Unless it has those ads in videos then I would not like it............

There is such a thing called "too much". If the game has too much ads, then the gaming experience would be terrible. But if it has "less" ads or no ads at all, it would not support the developers needs, thus also ruining the gaming experience.

I have no problems with ads. Unless if it ruins the gaming experience I would not play it.

If its a freemium game, like based on IAP's, I would want that if it isn't that too much based on it. Supercell's freemium games are well balanced. If a game is based too much on iAP's, like the ruined series dungeon hunter, it would drain money from me. I'm ok for buying more content though.

All I am saying is that if its too much, it would ruin the gaming experience. If its too less, it would not help the devs, thus even ruining the gaming experience more. Its all about the perfect balance to make a great gaming experience.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm shocked that people would rather put up with ads or overpay for power ups rather than just cough up a whopping THREE bucks or whatever for a good app. They've ruined it for the rest of us. Every game seems free until you realize it's not free. It's getting harder and harder to just buy a FULL version of a game and get everything included. This irritates the crap out me. Good job, you bunch of cheap skates. These people will pay $800 for a toy tablet, $300 a month for a cell plan but $2.99 for a nap? NO way.... Can't possibly do that. It's outrageous!

Terrific. :(

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I really hate it when cheap drives the market. Because of reports like this, it means that games on iOS will have stupid ads. What that means for me is I won't play games on iOS (I've got better things to do anyway). I agree with you strongly, s2mikey.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm shocked that people would rather put up with ads or overpay for power ups rather than just cough up a whopping THREE bucks or whatever for a good app. They've ruined it for the rest of us. Every game seems free until you realize it's not free. It's getting harder and harder to just buy a FULL version of a game and get everything included. This irritates the crap out me. Good job, you bunch of cheap skates. These people will pay $800 for a toy tablet, $300 a month for a cell plan but $2.99 for a nap? NO way.... Can't possibly do that. It's outrageous!

Terrific. :(

Well it makes me sad too that the users are the reason why we have these kind of games.

Just to change the other post, I am not ok with buying extra content as how I just realized hoe expensive it is. Man.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I really hate it when cheap drives the market. Because of reports like this, it means that games on iOS will have stupid ads. What that means for me is I won't play games on iOS (I've got better things to do anyway). I agree with you strongly, s2mikey.

Cheap driving the market does stink. Ironically, apple has always shied away from the low end and makes hardware that's a step above the cheap stuff out there. I've always liked that. Not so with the apps. Eventually, the entire damned App Store will be "free". UUUGGHHHH! :(

Most reactions

Latest posts