What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The iPad Opens Up the World of Tablets

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

Saverio Romeo, Senior Industry Analyst for Growth Partnership company Frost & Sullivan ICT, has written a interesting report on the role of the iPad in the rise of the tablet. According to Romeo, tablets, which he says fall between the mobile experience of smartphones and the computing experience of laptops, not only offer a superior entertainment experience, they also drive new ideas in other industries, including publishing and tourism.

“The iPad is the tablet that makes the most noise in the market, but it does not come alone. Many other vendors have embraced the idea of a tablet,†says Romeo.

The report says that Apple has modelled the use of the iPad around the customer buying apps from the Apple iTunes App Store, which was of course also the successful model for the iPhone.

“The iPad has given relevance to the emerging segments of tablets in the mobile device market. Apple’s tablet has found the enthusiasm of two million users in just two months and it has enabled opportunities in various industries,†concludes Romeo. “However, tablet pricing means that these devices are currently aimed at specific consumer segments: early adopters. This enthusiasm is not yet at the mass market level.â€

Not sure about that last statement, the iPad has virtually sold out everywhere that it’s been on sale throughout the world, which seems pretty “mass market†to me!

Source: Frost & Sullivan

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad is just a step on the way to truly portable computers.

Tablet sadly still carries conotations of horizontal desktop. It will be interesting to see if pads and tablets coalesce or diverge.

Dbolen888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gobs of tablets

This guy should get a clue. After our "startup" with the iPad, I did some research on the number of tablet PCs available -- there's gobs. I'd never heard of any of them -- have you? Not that any of them are that relevant.

I can't see any tablet PC even (ever) beginning to compete with the iPad. iPad has too much of a head start with its hundreds of thousands of Apps & iTunes.

Denny :)

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This guy should get a clue. After our "startup" with the iPad, I did some research on the number of tablet PCs available -- there's gobs. I'd never heard of any of them -- have you? Not that any of them are that relevant.

I can't see any tablet PC even (ever) beginning to compete with the iPad. iPad has too much of a head start with its hundreds of thousands of Apps & iTunes.

Denny :)

Tablet PCs have been around a while, but they were built to be fully-functional computers for business or students. I love the Tablet PC and used to own an HP slate tablet. It was a brilliant idea, but MS never really supported it with a proper interface and software and hardly marketed it at all. When I used to carry my HP, people would always stop and ask me what it was. That is a complete marketing failure if you ask me.

I think we will eventually get to slate tablets as full computers, but I dont think the processing power and battery life is there yet. Apple was smart to lower the bar a little to something fully attainable with current technology, yet capable of doing 85% of what people need a laptop for. They already had a great mobile interface, so they didnt have to start from scratch. I think its a winning strategy for now at least.

I love my iPad, but the Frost and Sullivan article makes me laugh a little. they've been drinking some of the Steve Jobs cool aid :D

Gabi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes, PC's are way behind, but they may try to compete, or at least get some market share.

Most reactions

Latest posts