What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The iPad comes first in a new consumer satisfaction survey

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To further add to the "pot", as it were, coming from a media/advertising background (& with qualifications in statistics), the first off I was surprised at the lack of detail in the JD Power survey as I have always rated them highly. Secondly, the point made above about how they selected their sample is, IMO, crucial.

Additionally, it is worth commenting that Apple, Amazon & Samsung spend well on advertising & marketing - and reap the rewards with high levels of consumer awareness & brand perception. Hence their consistent rankings in terms of sales figures. Motorola & Acer - much, much less so & Asus - none at all in reality!

Android is no longer the "techy person's OS", however. If it was, it wouldn't be on the majority of smartphones, used by the majority of smartphone owners, most of whom are probably "non geeks". :)
Smartphone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Samsung boosts Android to 68.1 percent smartphone market share in latest IDC figures | The Verge

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To further add to the "pot", as it were, coming from a media/advertising background (& with qualifications in statistics), the first off I was surprised at the lack of detail in the JD Power survey as I have always rated them highly. Secondly, the point made above about how they selected their sample is, IMO, crucial.

Additionally, it is worth commenting that Apple, Amazon & Samsung spend well on advertising & marketing - and reap the rewards with high levels of consumer awareness & brand perception. Hence their consistent rankings in terms of sales figures. Motorola & Acer - much, much less so & Asus - none at all in reality!

Android is no longer the "techy person's OS", however. If it was, it wouldn't be on the majority of smartphones, used by the majority of smartphone owners, most of whom are probably "non geeks". :)
Smartphone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Samsung boosts Android to 68.1 percent smartphone market share in latest IDC figures | The Verge

Not sure whether you're referring to my post(s) when mentioning Android and non-techs. Agree that Android is not necessarily a tech platform (I have Android devices and am definitely not a tech, lol).

My impression of many Android devices, gleaned through years of following tech news, is that some Android hardware is simply not user friendly for nontechs. It's not the platform; it's the crappy way that some hardware makers have delivered it in their products. Asus and Acer were two such makers that I checked out in previous years while in search of tablets before iPad, for instance. I found that in user reviews and forums, because even techs struggled at times to figure out probs. You don't see much of that among iPad users -- when even techs are stumped, lol.

As for user satisfaction and advertising, I find it hard to make the jump that continued advertising makes someone more or less satisfied with a product that they've already bought. (But I might be atypical, and maybe that kind of brainwash works on others. I'm very selective and conscious of what media I do consume. I don't watch TV, I ignore ads elsewhere on purpose and otherwise filter advertising when able. I learn about new tech developments and products almost entirely via tech blogs or when I search out product info.)

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The great strength that Apple has is in being the "supplier" of the hardware, OS & controller of the app store.

Android, being open source, is subject to the vagaries of the OEM using it. :) And intriguingly - to me, anyway - Android phones are far more stable & reliable than Android tablets. :confused:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The great strength that Apple has is in being the "supplier" of the hardware, OS & controller of the app store.

Android, being open source, is subject to the vagaries of the OEM using it. :) And intriguingly - to me, anyway - Android phones are far more stable & reliable than Android tablets. :confused:

Yes, having control of OS and content is key. That's why I suggested about three years ago that if anyone had a good shot at iPad, it would be Amazon, with its deep pockets, long-term outlook, content and customer service orientation, as well as (then) hardware experience with Kindle e-ink. Even without complete control of the OS, I figured Amazon could hold the bar high in how it delivered the UI.

Android phones have has a longer maturation span than tablets. I expect further maturation, but now the Apple-Samsung patent fight (with bigger possible implications for Android/Google) will hang up how things play out.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The typo I can live with. Generating an article for the front page using the wrong data, not so much.

Most reactions

Latest posts