What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The future in our hands?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're right. It is a provocative article. On the whole, though, it strikes me as the sort of article a columnist has to come up with when he's up against a deadline.

The heart of the article is whether or not to include tablet sales in a PC market category. If you do, Apple's sales numbers look much better than if they're not. But to whom does this matter? Apple shareholders for sure. Otherwise, who cares other than fanboys who view multinational corporations as if they are local NFL teams. In fact, I'm reminded of another article I happened across today that argued the Amazon Fire and Nook Tablet aren't really tablets because they lack some of the content creation features of the iPad. I'm simply not sure what the point of such haggling is other than to those in the groups noted above. (And for that matter such issues don't really matter even to shareholders concerned with profit rather than unit sales volume.)

The tech press (like the political press in an election year) is obsessed with horse race metaphors. But unlike a horse race, an NFL season, or even an election, there is no ultimate "winner" here. Perhaps if there were a "line" in Las Vegas for the rest of us to wager on the outcome at some specific date it would matter more. But when the outcome depends on how one happens to define a particular product segment, this sort of article mainly benefits the guy who writes it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm simply not sure what the point of such haggling is other than to those in the groups noted above.

It serves at least one good purpose. It keeps a 'few' of the people inclined to fanatical support of this or that occupied, and away from more important issues. ;)

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, interesting commentary. I am clearly not as savvy about computing trends as you guys, but its main benefit for me was the simple message that maybe one day we will be able to actually sever the umbilicus that attaches us to Mother Desktop. (We are still tethered, virtually at least, via wifi.)

I just know that since I made the plunge and bought my iPad virtually all my time is spent with it, and I really resent having to fire up the desktop for periodic housecleaning and maintenance chores. So I for one hope that things do evolve the way the guy sees it.

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
Enjoyed reading that, like you say it gave a different view to things. Not everyone will agree but then thats just human nature. I'm typing this on my PC, but only because my ipad is charging.....I too find my PC is redundant these days, except for wi-fi support to my AppleTV2. With my Ipad it just seems so easy to pick it up and open the cover and away I go.....perfection personified!!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Heaviside said:
Well, interesting commentary. I am clearly not as savvy about computing trends as you guys, but its main benefit for me was the simple message that maybe one day we will be able to actually sever the umbilicus that attaches us to Mother Desktop. (We are still tethered, virtually at least, via wifi.)

I just know that since I made the plunge and bought my iPad virtually all my time is spent with it, and I really resent having to fire up the desktop for periodic housecleaning and maintenance chores. So I for one hope that things do evolve the way the guy sees it.

I also find that the iPad has taken over as the go to system for most computing needs. There are still a few games I enjoy on the PC(like Age of Empires) and there are some tasks that require the PCs beefier hardware. But, for the most part, our laptops stay turned off most of the time now. Nothing against them, it's just that the iPad is getting the job done and is such a pleasure to use.

Most reactions

Latest posts