What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texting to nonApple smart phone?

bgeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifie sez she can txt her cousin, both on verizon, but cuz doesn't have an iPhone.
Is this possible?
If'n that is true, should I be able to txt from my iPad to friends on Verizon?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Messages app on the iPhone is different than the Messages app on the iPad.

The iPad app can only use Apple's iMessage service; which is only good for sending messages to other Apple devices/accounts., and needs an internet connection.

The iPhone app can use both the iMessage service and SMS. It will use iMessage by default, but if the phone number you are sending to is not another iPhone it will use SMS; which is available on the majority of cellphones.

SMS is part of the older cellphone technology and only works if you have an actual dial-able phone number. Since the iPad can not make phone calls, it also can not send SMS. Your iPhone does not need internet to send SMS, only a cellphone signal.

There are workarounds. Most of them involve an app and service combination that supplies you a phone number on the iPad to both send and receive SMS. The app store is full of them. Hold in mind most cost money, or have limited service until you do pay.

OP
B

bgeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank You for explaining the difference.
Any recommendations?

Background info: I have phone numbers only for alot of former co-workers (railroad workers), but no way to email them and I'd hate
to call their cell phones on account that might wake them up when they are trying to sleep.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank You for explaining the difference. Any recommendations? Background info: I have phone numbers only for alot of former co-workers (railroad workers), but no way to email them and I'd hate to call their cell phones on account that might wake them up when they are trying to sleep.

I don't use any of the SMS messaging apps, so I won't attempt any recommendations, but quite a few other members do. Search around the form a bit, and you're likely to find a few. I believe there was at least one new thread today with a recommendation.

Or, if you're lucky, someone will wander by make a recommendation here.

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Text to Phone numbers

There a many 'chat' apps that can send text to IDs of people using that same app, such as AOL or Yahoo Messanger.
The problem is sending to a phone number.
The only app I have that can do that outside of the Apple ecosystem is Skype. But Skype is not free when used that way. Skype has its own VOIP system for this and they charge for it. When you get that system it is free to text, speak with and video chat with other Skype users. There is a way on Skype to determine how much a call would cost, but I don't need to explore that here.
You do have to prepay, which is used up as you call. The remainder is shown on screen so you know when to add money.

It is a pity that Skype was bought by Microsoft instead of Apple.
There is place for iPhone users on the Contacts app where put your friend's phone number if they have an iPhone. You can text, chat or video chat with them. Apple has no way to do this outside of Apple products.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts