What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texting from iPad to android phone

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i have an iPad and want to be able to text my daughter who has an Android phone. She used to have an iPhone, but wanted an android....she has the same phone number. Problem is I can not send a text to her using iMessage.

She no longer has her old iPhone and she has had the android for about a year. I have to use a different app to send her a text. Any help would be most appreciated.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have an iPhone? With iOS 8 a feature called Continuity was introduced that, among other things, lets you send SMS text messages from your iPad to any phone capable of receiving text messages. The text messages are relayed through your iPhone.

iMessage didn't work to send a text message to your daughter because iMessage only works between iOS devices as well as Mac computers.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can use Google's Hangouts to send text messages or MMS to her. The app is free, all you'd need (both) is a Gmail account.

OP
P

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you have an iPhone? With iOS 8 a feature called Continuity was introduced that, among other things, lets you send SMS text messages from your iPad to any phone capable of receiving text messages. The text messages are relayed through your iPhone.

iMessage didn't work to send a text message to your daughter because iMessage only works between iOS devices as well as Mac computers.

I do not have an iPhone, I just use my iPad that is wifi only. Not sure what the continuity is...

OP
P

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score

iZach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't mean to insult you Pauley, so please don't take offense, but the article was only speaking of an issue (since resolved) about iPhone to Android. The issue in your case is the the stock Messages app on the iPad is specifically supporting iMessage, not SMS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nepheler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use third party service like Line, WhatsApp...

Nepheler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oops I haven't tried whatsapp on ipad yet, sorry for the mistake.
But line works, with cute stickers :p

Most reactions

Latest posts