What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Textbooks

biakpara

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand what textbook is on ipad, is it an app or what? I need textbooks on my ipad. Any help?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Two possibilities, well maybe three.

First and most likely is iBooks. There is a category in the iBooks Store for Textbooks. The book in this category are created with iBooks Author for OS X, and have special features and formatting optimized for media rich textbooks. There are several free books, and you can download samples from most titles. Give them a try.

Apple - Education - iBooks Textbooks for iPad

It is also possible to use e-textbooks purchased from Amazon. The Kindle app on the iPad has recently been enhanced to handle these. You'll have to do your own research on those, as I haven't had reason to look into it myself. I don't know what features, beyond basic ebooks, Amazon is offering.

The third possibility is an app as a book. These would be found in the App Store under Education or Books or the relevant subject. Essentially these are app, but with book-like content, often enhanced in some way. There are several very powerful books, like Gray's Anatomy, for specific fields.

I've probably missed something, but I hope that helps.

OP
biakpara

biakpara

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Two possibilities, well maybe three.

First and most likely is iBooks. There is a category in the iBooks Store for Textbooks. The book in this category are created with iBooks Author for OS X, and have special features and formatting optimized for media rich textbooks. There are several free books, and you can download samples from most titles. Give them a try.

Apple - Education - iBooks Textbooks for iPad

It is also possible to use e-textbooks purchased from Amazon. The Kindle app on the iPad has recently been enhanced to handle these. You'll have to do your own research on those, as I haven't had reason to look into it myself. I don't know what features, beyond basic ebooks, Amazon is offering.

The third possibility is an app as a book. These would be found in the App Store under Education or Books or the relevant subject. Essentially these are app, but with book-like content, often enhanced in some way. There are several very powerful books, like Gray's Anatomy, for specific fields.

I've probably missed something, but I hope that helps.

TANX but the problem is, the option for textbooks is not available in the nigerian store.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh. That I can't help you with. Not all content is available in all countries. Books seem to be a special problem, probably due to copyright issues.

All I can suggest is that you get a second iTunes account in the U.S. (or other country with a better selection). I've never done it myself, but here are the instructions as far as I can determine.

Creating an iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store account without a credit card

You'll need a plausible email address and physical address for the country you intend to use. Some people just pick the address of an Apple Store in that country.

You end up with an account without a credit card associated. YOu'll have to purchase and redeem iTunes gift cards to use it for anything except free content. I't my understanding this is possible online.

Once you have the new account you can use the Apple ID button at the bottom of most tabs in all the iStores to switch back and forth between accounts. You must be logged into the correct account to re-download content or get updates; so keep track of what you download from which store.

Godzuki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Oh. That I can't help you with. Not all content is available in all countries. Books seem to be a special problem, probably due to copyright issues.

All I can suggest is that you get a second iTunes account in the U.S. (or other country with a better selection). I've never done it myself, but here are the instructions as far as I can determine.

Creating an iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store account without a credit card

You'll need a plausible email address and physical address for the country you intend to use. Some people just pick the address of an Apple Store in that country.

You end up with an account without a credit card associated. YOu'll have to purchase and redeem iTunes gift cards to use it for anything except free content. I't my understanding this is possible online.

Once you have the new account you can use the Apple ID button at the bottom of most tabs in all the iStores to switch back and forth between accounts. You must be logged into the correct account to re-download content or get updates; so keep track of what you download from which store.

Wow, looks like iBooks are just like DVD's back on the region era. No wonder why haven't found Biology and Physics from Pearson. Thanks for the tip, I'm getting an iTunes card right now.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good luck, and please let us know how it works for you.

It's up to the publishers to decide what iBook Stores they are available in. Why they chose to omit certain countries is a mystery that only they (and probably their copyright lawyers) understand.

Most reactions

Latest posts