What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Text substitution in iOS5

OmarKN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well guys & ladies,

I thought in iOS5 it would be possible to switch off the text substitution / replacement (modul).

WHEN WRITING SOME TEXT I get the weirdest proposals by the iOS which word I would like to write instead.

in 90% it's just useless and still annoying,

IS THERE A WAY TO SWITCH IT OFF?

Apple can't continue to force this on us!

/ best wishes;

Omar KN

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You've always been able to turn it off. It's under Settings > General > Keyboards. Used to be if you turned off auto correction you also turned off the spell checker. Now they are separate so you can keep spell checking.

If a word is underlined by spell checker you can double tap on it to select, then choose the Suggestion option from the popup menu. It may be my imagination, but the suggestions seem to be more accurate than they were under iOS 4.

Last edited:

Gwenneth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd love to have spell checker (only), but if I turn off the auto-correct, it grays out the spell checker option. Am I misinterpreting something here?
Cheers,
Marion

Forgetful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd love to have spell checker (only), but if I turn off the auto-correct, it grays out the spell checker option. Am I misinterpreting something here?
Cheers,
Marion

Have you upgraded to iOS 5? That version lets you activate spellcheck without auto-correction.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Cheers,
Marion

Oops, when I said used to be I meant on iOS 4.3.x. The ability to separate the two came with iOS 5. Thanks for cleaning that up that, Forgetful. Maybe I should be using that name. ;)

Gwenneth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I must have been in a coma.... when was iOS 5 released? Seems I just updated my iPad last week. (Did I also download a time warp app as well?)
That's great news!
So why do I get no matches when I search the forums for "iOS 5"? I need to learn about all the new bells and whistles (folders for photos?).

Links, anyone?

Forgetful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oops, when I said used to be I meant on iOS 4.3.x. The ability to separate the two came with iOS 5. Thanks for cleaning that up that, Forgetful. Maybe I should be using that name. ;)

I must have been in a coma.... when was iOS 5 released? Seems I just updated my iPad last week. (Did I also download a time warp app as well?)
That's great news!
So why do I get no matches when I search the forums for "iOS 5"? I need to learn about all the new bells and whistles (folders for photos?).

Links, anyone?

Search won't return any words or phrases that are too common. There are iOS 5 threads in every section of the forum (except Accessories), have been for weeks.

Last edited:

Gwenneth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, yay for that. Thanks folks....I'm off to update and finally get spl chkr wo a-correct.

Most reactions

Latest posts