What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrible battery life.

Dave in Wales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here.

I did a search for 'Battery Life' and found a thread titled....Amazing Battery Life.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-air-forum/116127-amazing-battery-life.html

No doubt battery life has been discussed many times before but this is the opposite to my experiencees with my 'new' Air, had it since last Wednesday.

I can almost watch the battery life indicator slide down.

I have Googled...'Extend ipod Air battery life' and implimented all the recommendations.......I THINK.

Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Give it a few more days. Drain your battery completely, then re-calibrate it several times before jumping on the battery being faulty. Other than that, the usual settings are all that can be advised, i.e. turning off background app refresh, turning on Reduce Motion, turning off Locations and System Serivces, turning off auto brightness, and closing out high resource or apps that iOS gives permission to run 24/7 such as Facebook, Facebook Messenger, etc

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Keep in mind that these batteries get better over time, at least that's what I've experienced with all of my iOS devices.

OP
D

Dave in Wales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Give it a few more days. Drain your battery completely, then re-calibrate it several times before jumping on the battery being faulty. Other than that, the usual settings are all that can be advised, i.e. turning off background app refresh, turning on Reduce Motion, turning off Locations and System Serivces, turning off auto brightness, and closing out high resource or apps that iOS gives permission to run 24/7 such as Facebook, Facebook Messenger, etc

Thank's for that.

I assume that by re-calibrate you mean...charge to 100% then run down to 0%, I can't find any other procedure.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank's for that.

I assume that by re-calibrate you mean...charge to 100% then run down to 0%, I can't find any other procedure.

Yes, Apple recommend that be done about monthly to calibrate the battery % shown up top. Here's a bit more info on that battery of yours... well, the iPad's anyway:)
https://www.apple.com/au/batteries/
Regards, Andrew

Sent from OZ using Tapatalk

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are you using your Air for, out of interest? Streaming video over wifi would hit the battery harder than say, reading or browsing, obviously. And how high do you have your screen turned up? My wife's Air doesn't get anything like the battery life that mine does, but she has the screen so bright it hurts. I contributed to the thread you linked to - I'm still getting around 20 hrs of use per charge after almost 3 months, but I usually keep my screen brightness at around 25-30%...

How long, exactly, are you getting to a charge (Settings > General > Usage) ? If it's significantly less than the stated 'up to 10 hours' than I'd be tempted to return it as a faulty unit. Assuming, of course, that you don't have any mis-behaving apps running constantly e.g. Skype was terrible for this - don't know if the latest versions of the app are any better??

Keep us posted.

Pete

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What are you using your Air for, out of interest? Streaming video over wifi would hit the battery harder than say, reading or browsing, obviously. And how high do you have your screen turned up? My wife's Air doesn't get anything like the battery life that mine does, but she has the screen so bright it hurts. I contributed to the thread you linked to - I'm still getting around 20 hrs of use per charge after almost 3 months, but I usually keep my screen brightness at around 25-30%... How long, exactly, are you getting to a charge (Settings > General > Usage) ? If it's significantly less than the stated 'up to 10 hours' than I'd be tempted to return it as a faulty unit. Assuming, of course, that you don't have any mis-behaving apps running constantly e.g. Skype was terrible for this - don't know if the latest versions of the app are any better?? Keep us posted. Pete

I agree about having a faulty unit if you can't get a reasonable amount of use out of a charge. The battery in these things is one of its strong points!

OP
D

Dave in Wales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are you using your Air for, out of interest? Streaming video over wifi would hit the battery harder than say, reading or browsing, obviously. And how high do you have your screen turned up? My wife's Air doesn't get anything like the battery life that mine does, but she has the screen so bright it hurts. I contributed to the thread you linked to - I'm still getting around 20 hrs of use per charge after almost 3 months, but I usually keep my screen brightness at around 25-30%...

How long, exactly, are you getting to a charge (Settings > General > Usage) ? If it's significantly less than the stated 'up to 10 hours' than I'd be tempted to return it as a faulty unit. Assuming, of course, that you don't have any mis-behaving apps running constantly e.g. Skype was terrible for this - don't know if the latest versions of the app are any better??

Keep us posted.

Pete

I've turned off everything recommended, I'm not streaming video, mainly surfing and reading.

Brightness is manual, about the same as you, 25% ish.

I'm playing around really, just getting it last Wednesday.

I charged to 100% 19 minutes ago (usage) and have 4 hrs 2mins Standby, the standby is increasing not going down.

Don't seem right to me, thoughts please.

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've turned off everything recommended, I'm not streaming video, mainly surfing and reading.

Brightness is manual, about the same as you, 25% ish.

I'm playing around really, just getting it last Wednesday.

I charged to 100% 19 minutes ago (usage) and have 4 hrs 2mins Standby, the standby is increasing not going down.

Open up Settings > General > About > Diagnostic & Usage > Diagnostic & Usage Data, and see if anything comes up in the form of "panic" in the title.

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score

To clarify, "Usage" is the length of time you have actively been using your iPad, and "Standby" is the length of time the iPad has been unused but not being charged i.e. not powered down fully, but left 'on standby'. Both Usage and Standby values will increase as you use the device.

Top your iPad off to 100% charge then use it as normal; when the battery indicator shows around 50% check the usage again. If you haven't had at least 5 hours of use out of 50% battery with everything switched off and screen brightness down to ~25%, then you either have an app that's seriously misbehaving or a faulty unit.

Keep us posted, Pete

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also, I continue charging mine once at 100% until the charger cools off to make sure it is not still charging. The phone and charger will throttle charging current off or super slow trickle when actually fully charged unless you are using the iPad while charging. See if this helps both calibration and life.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, I continue charging mine once at 100% until the charger cools off to make sure it is not still charging. The phone and charger will throttle charging current off or super slow trickle when actually fully charged unless you are using the iPad while charging. See if this helps both calibration and life.

That sounds about right. But hear it from an Apple heavy about what is happening to the iPad battery... link below
http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/27/apple-clarifies-the-new-ipad-battery-overcharging-non-issue/
One conclusion anyway is that you won't hurt your iPad by overcharging.
Andrew

Sent from OZ using Tapatalk

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Totally agreed with you bro.. And u can try to off your mobile data when not using.

The mobile data won't use any battery though unless you have apps set to use it to push and pull data or whatever. And it should only use data when wifi isn't available. I don't believe it's much of a battery drain though.

OP
D

Dave in Wales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all for their imput.

After using it for a while and a full dis/charge, the battery life has improved no end.

One satisfied Bunny...:thumbs:

Most reactions

Latest posts