What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ten Devices Set to rival the iPad 2

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As I said sales will ultimately tell, not pundits.

It's likely their tablet will come in at a price that is inline with and not dramatically cheaper than the competition.

The high end Kindle is nearly $400 - not cheap. It's not likely they will undercut this price.

We can have this conversation again in January and see if they hit their 17m 2011 Kindle prediction AND their 5m Q4 tablet prediction.

I'm saying they will not, that they will lose Kindle sales to the tablet.

You keep saying that some magically enhanced Amazon shopping experience is going to drive sales of a hardware tablet. I think that's nonsense.

Time will tell.

-t

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It's likely their tablet will come in at a price that is inline with and not dramatically cheaper than the competition.

The high end Kindle is nearly $400 - not cheap. It's not likely they will undercut this price.

We can have this conversation again in January and see if they hit their 17m 2011 Kindle prediction AND their 5m Q4 tablet prediction.

You keep saying that some magically enhanced Amazon shopping experience is going to drive sales of a hardware tablet. I think that's nonsense.

Time will tell.

-t

Please try to stick with facts:

Amazon has never revealed Kindle sales numbers.

I have posted that Amazon would use its content to push hardware sales. That's an obvious sales strategy.

Amazon is a huge seller of many products, and has been for years.

It has amazing goodwill among consumers, as shown by annual rankings in customer satisfaction.

I have not jumped to conclusions about its success. You refer to my previous posts, but you seem to have forgotten, misread, misunderstood or selectively remembered. I have posted that Amazon can afford to take a risk with a tablet; risk is defined as including the possibility of failure.

I'm a consumer who's glad to see a company with resources and smarts take a risk and offer some decent competition in the Android tablet market, which hardware makers have failed to do so far.

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Time will tell.

-t

Please try to stick with facts:

Amazon has never revealed Kindle sales numbers.

I have posted that Amazon would use its content to push hardware sales. That's an obvious sales strategy.

Amazon is a huge seller of many products, and has been for years.

It has amazing goodwill among consumers, as shown by annual rankings in customer satisfaction.

I have not jumped to conclusions about its success. You refer to my previous posts, but you seem to have forgotten, misread, misunderstood or selectively remembered. I have posted that Amazon can afford to take a risk with a tablet; risk is defined as including the possibility of failure.

I'm a consumer who's glad to see a company with resources and smarts take a risk and offer some decent competition in the Android tablet market, which hardware makers have failed to do so far.

I agree with this 100%.

The only reason I still shop with Amazon is because every time I've had a product fail they've given me a refund. "Every" isn't figurative, this is literal and their success rate with fixing my problems has been 100%. I've never had another company match that.

I'm excited to see what the Amazon tablet can do. Remember when we all assumed the iPad was going to be a giant iPod Touch and we were all proved wrong? Remember when we thought it was going to be solely for media consumption and we were all proved wrong? Amazon is in a position to be innovative in ways that HP, Apple, IBM, and Microsoft aren't.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In a discussion based on speculation and guessing the future, facts are always augmented with opinion.... I've read all your opinion and praise, I'm not selectively recalling thank you.

The unit sales numbers for the Kindle are accepted by market analysts, nothing I made up. Though Amazon has never released Kindle unit sales numbers they do have suppliers who do release numbers and it's not rocket science to determine fairly accurate sales numbers.

It will be interesting to see how successful their tablet offering really is, however if I had to bet on 5m units in Q4 the odds would be very long against it.

-t

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In a discussion based on speculation and guessing the future, facts are always augmented with opinion.... I've read all your opinion and praise, I'm not selectively recalling thank you.

The unit sales numbers for the Kindle are accepted by market analysts, nothing I made up. Though Amazon has never released Kindle unit sales numbers they do have suppliers who do release numbers and it's not rocket science to determine fairly accurate sales numbers.

It will be interesting to see how successful their tablet offering really is, however if I had to bet on 5m units in Q4 the odds would be very long against it.

-t

The market analysts who are estimating Kindle sales are the same ones who are now saying that Amazon would be a credible tablet maker and seller. Lol.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I never said they would not be credible, just that I think they are blowing smoke when they estimate 5m unit sales in Q4 along with 17m Kindle sakes for 2011.

They will be lucky to do half those tablet sales and will take from the high end Kindle sales to do so.

-t

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
By the way, I consider several million unit sales a year to be successful - as would have. HP...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never said they would not be credible, just that I think they are blowing smoke when they estimate 5m unit sales in Q4 along with 17m Kindle sakes for 2011.

They will be lucky to do half those tablet sales and will take from the high end Kindle sales to do so.

-t

I don't bother much with analyst figures in this case, because they miscalled Kindle from the start. Now it's a success and they finally recognize that. Duh.

As far as Amazon tablet sales, the company operates in secrecy and has a different timeline and risk tolerance than most. They are willing to take a longer view, which is why I consider first-quarter predictions next to useless with any tablet it produces.

I'd bet that Amazon would happily give up every Kindle sale for a tablet one. Any tablet it produces would be geared toward selling even more Amazon products than a Kindle. Most buyers of an Amazon tablet probably would spend even more at Amazon than they do now.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Off topic but I think the amazon tablet will likely rival android tablets, not the iPad. They are too late.

Reaction score

-t

I don't bother much with analyst figures in this case, because they miscalled Kindle from the start. Now it's a success and they finally recognize that. Duh.

As far as Amazon tablet sales, the company operates in secrecy and has a different timeline and risk tolerance than most. They are willing to take a longer view, which is why I consider first-quarter predictions next to useless with any tablet it produces.

I'd bet that Amazon would happily give up every Kindle sale for a tablet one. Any tablet it produces would be geared toward selling even more Amazon products than a Kindle. Most buyers of an Amazon tablet probably would spend even more at Amazon than they do now.

Seeing as the Amazon app store has a "free app of the day" every day or often runs sales on them at less than the Android market I'd trends to agree that an Amazon tablet with the Amazon app store pre installed would do a brisk business

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ultimately we will see what the sales numbers show, but I'm betting that these sales cannibalize Kindle sales first and foremost. Amazon is still seen as a book seller by a huge segment of the market, and not a computing hardware supplier.

-t

I am betting that that the Amazon Kindle will sell well with both existing customers and new users. Amazon is not just seen as a book seller. It is a place where you go to buy all kinds of stuff. The new Kindle, if set up correctly, will be a portable shopping tablet.

And it will be a portal for three big Amazon services: books, music and (hopefully) streaming video. On top of this, it will have they typical services like email and web browsing, and Android apps.

I don't think anyone is intended to see it as computing hardware; that is not the business that Amazon is knows or cares about.

I also don't think that Amazon is particularly pitching the product to tech geeks. In fact, I think that Amazon has been frustrated that previously, the Android tablet marketplace was fixated on hardware and operating systems, and didn't have a clear concept on usability and broad consumer appeal.

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another possible perk to an Amazon tablet. Rent Kindle books instead of buy.
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2011/09/11/amazon-reportedly-in-talks-to-launch-a-netflix-for-books/
For those of us who read a lot of ebooks this could be a real money saver.

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

This indicates that publishers need to rethink what ebooks are about, but there will be lots of foot dragging. I think that many publishers will see ebook rentals as discouraging sales.

Related to this, a tech show was talking about Amazon's rental idea. One host noted that this is kinda what libraries do. Another host mentioned that they had not gone to a library since college. And note that libraries can lend ebooks, but are limited to a small number of copies, which really makes no sense.

Most reactions

Latest posts