What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tempted to buy an iPad for myself for xmas, but

M

MikeatiPadForums

I'm wondering if I should based on a few concerns:

What is the browser performance like? Is Opera better?

Can you play animated gifs?

How does Skyfire handle flash videos? Is this a good workaround?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You know, I really haven't found a browser better than iOS Safari. The pages aren't the fastest to load, but once your in, panning, scrolling and zooming is smooth like butter. My girlfriend giggled like a schoolgirl the first time using Safari.

Animated .GIFs work fine.

I really have no idea about skyfire. I thought that I would be bothered by the missing Flash, but I don't notice it in reality. The bigger websites, including some 'adult' ones have alternates for iPad, or they have an app.

I don't miss Punch the Monkey advertisements or LOLKatz videos ;)

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS and safari where build to work together you won't find a smoother browsing experience anywhere. As far as skyfire goes.... It's as good as flash on an android tablet in my opinion but it's sadly lacking polish (not the fault of any device.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
The other note on Skyfire - it is getting really mixed reviews right now. Also, there is no iPad or HD version of Skyfire, only the iPhone version that is compatible with iPad, so it stretches to fit the screen, or stays at the iPhone resolution.

I use Safari for 99.9% of my browsing, and I brows a lot. The only other browser I use is Atomic, and only when I need to force a site to show in Desktop mode, rather than Mobile. Not the iPad's fault, but the programming of the website.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Animated gifs?
hatespam.gif
<==== animated gif

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
forget skyfire....I use Splashtop Remote. My home connection is way fast, and as long as I have a decent connection at a remote wifi it runs as fast as can be. I can watch videos, chat....I'm actually posting this right now on my home desktop over Splashtop using a bluetooth keyboard.

Most reactions

Latest posts