What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tax free weekend, time to buy the ipad2?

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm faced with a little bit of a decision making right now. Louisiana is having tax free weekend (no sales tax on any items purchased). I even got an email from apple advising to take advantage of it. Anyway I currently have an iPad one, I want (not need) an iPad 2. Mainly for the cams (FaceTime and video on Skype) and the increased speed and graphics (as it currently takes EXACTLY 5 seconds for a folder to open on my iPad). Should I buy one now and take advantage of the saving the 50$ I'd normally get taxed? Or should I wait for the next iPad and either get the new one or get the ipad2 which would probably go down $100 at that time?

Any useful input is helpful, I'm really torn on whether I should get one now or just wait

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well you have the money, so go buy it today, hook up a family member the iPad 1 for a really good price.
its a win win situation, and it really is faster.

m3incorp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since money is not a question, I would say to buy it and sell the original Ipad. Since you most likely won't be taking too big of a loss, it's a good way to get the few advantages that the Ipad 2 has over the original.

Elliern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also plan to take advantage of tax free weekend here in NC. I just learned today that I could 'reserve' the ipad at Best Buy. Kinda weird, but...I had to go in and fill out some paperwork. Then purchase a $100 gift card, they would then hold the ipad for me until noon on Saturday. All I have to do is go to the customer service desk on Friday or Saturday morning and pick it up and pay for it. The gift card is mine to use however I want. Saves standing in line first thing Friday morning and I am guaranteed to get the exact model and color I want.

Veritas4420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would say get it, you can still sell the original for a decent amount and saving money is never a bad thing.

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd say be patient and wait three months until the new one comes out in November. Your money will be a better investment that way. It's like sensibly staying with your paid-off car when it runs perfectly well. Do you want to deal with all the bleeding issues? Wait til they get these kinks worked out. If you control this "want" now, the iPad 3 is likely to make you happier than the 2 would.

Veritas4420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple usually puts out a device every year, where are people getting this iPad 3 info?

katalyst45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm currently waiting to upgrade from my original iPad for the iPad 3 and have been following the "rumors" of a release date for it from the website in my signature. Im pretty sure it wont come out until March like usual but there has been repeated rumors of another iPad refresh in 2011.

mollysmom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There seems to be a tax weekend every year right before school starts so it really won't matter if you buy now or wait. If you have to have your purchase be school related, still no problem as many schools are using them. My school will have a cart of iPads for student use. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions