What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tab key for iPad

alexh110

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all.
I was wondering if there's any way to add a tab key to the iPad keyboard? I find it very useful for formatting documents.
Would be nice to have cursor arrow keys too, as they're much faster to use than the spotlight thing!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest way to get tab and cursor keys is to use a Bluetooth keyboard. I have a really compact folding Bluetooth keyboard for the iPad and that has tab and all the cursor keys - as well as some special iPad keys (i.e. 'Home'). They're very reasonably priced - you can see them at Amazon - and fold up very small, so they're convenient to take wherever you go. The keyboard is nearly full size, so it's great for touch-typists too.

Tim

piper77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very valid request here..
Looks like this important function is overlooked by apple. I too found this frustating because my thick fingers dont do any justice entering the right spot in between the document. Would love to hear if any decent app allow this tab function for ipad.

Cheers
piper

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very valid request here..
Looks like this important function is overlooked by apple. I too found this frustating because my thick fingers dont do any justice entering the right spot in between the document. Would love to hear if any decent app allow this tab function for ipad.

Cheers
piper

If you touch and hold any point in a document for a second, a little pop-up magnifying glass will appear that makes it much easier to position the cursor and select and edit text, cut/copy and paste etc.

It's not perfect, but it's better than trying to 'hit the right spot'....

Tim

deepakvrao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest way to get tab and cursor keys is to use a Bluetooth keyboard. I have a really compact folding Bluetooth keyboard for the iPad and that has tab and all the cursor keys - as well as some special iPad keys (i.e. 'Home'). They're very reasonably priced - you can see them at Amazon - and fold up very small, so they're convenient to take wherever you go. The keyboard is nearly full size, so it's great for touch-typists too.

Tim

Which one do you use Tim?

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Re tab

Not a perfect solution, but one that has been posted before, use multiple fingers on the space bar

2 fingers = 2 spaces, 4 fingers = 4 spaces etc...

- Sig - How to stop being notified of new posts, in the IPF app, goto the subscribed tab, then swipe left/right on the threads you no longer want to follow - I bleed in 6 colours

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

Which one do you use Tim?

I actually have two - one for backup, it's so essential. My current favourite is the iGo keyboard. It's not made any longer, but it's still available occasionally. The second one is the 'Freedom i-Connex' (who do they get to think of these names?) - which has the dedicated iPad/iPhone keys. The Freedom is sold under a number of other names - but they're in Amazon. The Freedom has a dedicate Home key, the iGo is slightly more compact. Both are fine. Of course, they're flimsy - difficult to make a lightweight folding keyboard that isn't - but I've been using them carefully for over 6 months of relatively intense use.

Tim

XplosiveCows

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is not a key for tabs per Say.To insert a tab, touch the screen at the point you want to insert the tab and hold, then release. You will see a fertile menu. Tap insert, then select tab.

This works every time. I'm not sure if it works for Notes

Most reactions

Latest posts