What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing - I dont understand

Maceasar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
I dont understand syncing. What syncs to what?

I just bought Ipad 2. I had Ipod Touch before that.

I know about folders and organzing apps

Here are my questions in various scenerios

Scenerio 1:
I connect my Ipad 2 to Itunes. Everything has the most recent version. Does Ipad sync to Itunes or does Itunes sync to Ipad 2?

Scenerio 2:
I sync Ipad 2 as mentioned above.
Now I plug in Ipod Touch and I want to sync it. But I spent an hour organising my apps on Touch the way I want. What will happen when I sync it? (after Ipad 2 was synced). Will Ipod Touch sync just like Ipad 2 was synced or will my organized apps be as I arranged them on Ipod Touch?

Scenerio 3:
I understand about tranferring purchases. I plug Ipad 2 in and I download my purchases. The purchases are just added to the ipad 2 on the last page (assuming , lets say I have pages 1, 2, 3 are full )
The purchases will go to page 4.

Question:
If I dont want an app on Ipad, I uncheck it in this list. (photo below, left hand attachment) Is that right?

But if I want the app not anywhere, I delete it from the app section (photo below, right hand attachment)

In the past, I have gotten this message. What does this mean?

Awhile ago, I bought a movie from Itunes for my Ipod Touch. When I watched it, I deleted it but when I synced it, the movie was back on the Ipod Touch. Why did that happen

Is it better to download apps from itunes or on the device itself?

Thanks for the help,
Mac

Attachments

• zzz1.jpg
    zzz1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 318
  • zzz2.jpg
    zzz2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 292

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i got dizzy with sync ing between ipad and itunes and vice versa too, and anytime it says 'Erase and Sync' makes me afraid that i would lose apps on either ipad or itunes so i never click that why would someone want to erase something from sync ing :confused:

OP
M

Maceasar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
. . . . , and anytime it says 'Erase and Sync' makes me afraid that i would lose apps on either ipad or itunes so i never click that why would someone want to erase something from sync ing :confused:

That is one of the messages that I get that I don't touch. :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
I dont understand syncing. What syncs to what?

Scenerio 1:
I connect my Ipad 2 to Itunes. Everything has the most recent version. Does Ipad sync to Itunes or does Itunes sync to Ipad 2?

iTunes is "the boss" here. It will always make the iDevice match the iTunes settings when you sync.

Scenerio 2:
I sync Ipad 2 as mentioned above.
Now I plug in Ipod Touch and I want to sync it. But I spent an hour organising my apps on Touch the way I want. What will happen when I sync it? (after Ipad 2 was synced). Will Ipod Touch sync just like Ipad 2 was synced or will my organized apps be as I arranged them on Ipod Touch?

iTunes keeps the two devices separate. So, whatever you do on/for the iPod will not be synced over to the iPad via iTunes. So, your iPod settings will not change the iPad's.

Scenario 3:
I understand about tranferring purchases. I plug Ipad 2 in and I download my purchases. The purchases are just added to the ipad 2 on the last page (assuming , lets say I have pages 1, 2, 3 are full )
The purchases will go to page 4.

Question:
If I dont want an app on Ipad, I uncheck it in this list. (photo below, left hand attachment) Is that right?

But if I want the app not anywhere, I delete it from the app section (photo below, right hand attachment)

Correct. If you don't want an app on the iPad, you can uncheck it (then, when you sync, iTunes will remove it). Same thing - if you delete the app from iTunes, then it'll be (1) gone from iTunes and (2) will be removed from the iDevice next time you sync. Do note, however, that the app will always be on file with Apple (because they never delete your purchases).

In the past, I have gotten this message. What does this mean?

Sorry, but your picture didn't show. Try to show it again (or type what the message said)?

Awhile ago, I bought a movie from Itunes for my Ipod Touch. When I watched it, I deleted it but when I synced it, the movie was back on the Ipod Touch. Why did that happen?

More than likely, you still had it checked on iTunes. So, when you did the sync, iTunes put the movies back on your iDevice. Remember, a sync is so that iTunes can make your iDevice match iTunes.

Is it better to download apps from itunes or on the device itself?

Thanks for the help,
Mac

It really is "six of one, half dozen of another." I usually choose to download to the iDevice because it's more convenient that using my computer. But - it all ends up with the same result - iTunes and the iPad will match when you sync.

To make things a bit easier when syncing, what I do is the "transfer purchases" option before I sync my iDevice. This ensures the "stuff" on my iDevice gets put on iTunes. That way, when the sync is done, iTunes already has the new app(s). So, in a way, transfer purchases is the one way you can use to make iTunes match the iDevice (which is the opposite of the usual process).

As long as you remember that iTunes is always going to make your iDevice match the iTunes settings (boxes checked, apps installed, etc.), then you can control how iTunes is. Keep checking the tabs (on the right side when the iDevice is connected) to make sure the check marks are/are not what you want.

Hopefully, this clarified some things. Holler back if you need more - or if I've muddied the waters too much. :)

Marilyn

OP
M

Maceasar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank hou so much Marilyn for your help.

I think this was the photo. Do I want it to sync to that Itunes library?
(I dont mind if my both devices are synced the same way)

Link: http://s7.postimage.org/4dxljpgah/xzxz_itunes.jpg

"iTunes keeps the two devices separate. So, whatever you do on/for the iPod will not be synced over to the iPad via iTunes. So, your iPod settings will not change the iPad's. "
- You mean that Itunes has two libraries in it? I have got a message - I dont remember if that is the one I was referring to that I didnt post a photo of . . . it says "Itunes has another library. Do you want to sync?

What about "erase and sync"? what is that about? Ive gotten that message when I just had my Ipod Touch.

Oh, Icloud.
OI download apps and I get a message that I dont have enough Icloud storage. I the consumer forced to use Icloud. I know I read that it just happens and it is there.

I can pay $20 for more storage or remove apps that take up too much storage. I remove racing game Asplhalt (which was taking up the most space in the staorage section. What do most people do?

Is there any way to easily remove the sticker from Itumes gift card? It was tough to do and I had to use Apple support to verify cards because some numbers were unreadable. Does rubbing alcohol or nail polish work? (It seems to work on everything)

Is there a place to go to get a manual that covers all of this on the internet.

Whats gthe best choice to use for syncing? Connecting to the computer or wireless syncing?

Thank you.
Mac

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank hou so much Marilyn for your help.

I think this was the photo. Do I want it to sync to that Itunes library?
(I dont mind if my both devices are synced the same way)

What about "erase and sync"? what is that about? Ive gotten that message when I just had my Ipod Touch.

Is there a place to go to get a manual that covers all of this on the internet.

Thank you.
Mac

Sorry, but I don't use iCloud or iTunes gift cards nor do I sync via wireless. So, I can't address those questions...

The picture you posted is telling you that the iPod you are trying to sync to that version of iTunes is not the iTunes to which it is normally synced. Archaic though it may be - with an iDevice, you can only sync to one iTunes at a time. That iPod is already synced with another, so the iTunes you aree syncing it to now will erase all the data on it and make it mirror what is on iTunes (even if it is to erase all the iPod and load nothing on the iPod). Again, iTunes wants to make iDevices mirror iTunes (which has been set up by you).

The only thing you can do is either sync the iPod to the iTunes it has been synced with prior or accept that it will get erased (if you continue to use the iTunes from which you got the message).

Yes, it's confusing. Unfortunately, I've never run across an iTunes manual. There might be one, out there on the Internet, but I've nev looked for/found it.

Hopefully, others can help with the remainder of your questions.

Marilyn

Last edited:
OP
M

Maceasar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I spent an hour organizing my apps . I synced and everything was fine. Thank you.

The label on the back of the gift card has been changed. It comes off using your finger.

OP
M

Maceasar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I think I have this figured out.
I came up with an analogy yesterday. Itunes is like the mothership and the pods (aka Ipods) come to her and sync to her.

To sync, here are the steps as I have figured it out to be (with your help).

Steps after you have connected your device to Itunes
1. transfers purchases
2. download updates
3. back up [optional. This id done during final sync] but that is done during the sync, so this step could probably be taken out) <--- Am I right?
4. organise apps on Itunes using this screen(s) [see attachment], as you want to have it seen on your device.

5. click 'apply changes'
6. Now sync your device

The one thing I could figure out if I did some syncs is the apps you dont want. To remove, check their box but delete from the app section as well (or they will come back)
- Is my explanation right or wrong? It would be placed in list after / along with step 4

I messed up and learned the hard way because I organised my 300+ apps and I downloaded update (that had shown up) and because I had not hit apply after organsiing my apps, they wen t back to the way they were.
- Is my explanation right?

My anaology:
As you organise,l take time to sync the apps that you have moved becaus eotherwise it will be just like writing a long document in MS Word and you have not 'saved' it every now and then.

I watching wirelessly syncing on Youtube and I get that. My Ipad is set up to wirelessly sync. Its tricky because to do that you have to intially have the devices connected to the computer and obviously that is not 'being wireless' But when you go through the steps, you can remove the cable and it will sync wirelessly

Thank you for the help.
Mac

Here are the Youtube videos about wirelessly syncing I mentioned

Video 2 (link)

Attachments

• 76583.jpg
    76583.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 253
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

Maceasar