What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing folders on iPad

ned273

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there an App available that will maintain a native folder (with Files) on the iPad and sync this folder with a remote server (i.e. Dropbox) in one step, just like the Windows' Briefcase does on a PC?

I utilize this function on my PC with Dropbox. Windows' Briefcase is a great way to continually maintain two identical folders. I have a Briefcase folder that I'm able to sync with Dropbox or any other device. i.e. USB thumb drive. Can this be done on an iPad?

I need to be able to maintain, edit and view files (doc, xls, pdfs) on my iPad and then sync these files to a remote server without having to specifically upload, email or share them. I'm looking for a one step process to maintain an identical folder on my iPad and on a remote location.

Goodreader is great. However, you can't sync a native folder with a remote folder. If you want an identical folder, you have to deliberately maintain each file seperately by uploading them back into the specified folder. This can get confusing as to which file is the most current, especially if you are both editing that file on your iPad one day and then editing it on your work PC the next day. If your doing this with many documents, the confusion can become daunting.

My work PC doesn't have iTunes so I can't use the share function. Besides, the iTunes share function is frankly impractical. I'm not going to plug in my iPad and wait half a day for iTunes to do it thing when I only want to sync a couple of files at a time and edit and view the document.

New_here32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tsolignani said:
Try goodreader.

Interested in this as well. Can u elaborate? I use good reader to grab stuff from my dropbox but I am not too familiar about doing it the other way around.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't help with the syncing between devices, however your problem syncing your apps, I can help with. First, quick and dirty, when you start to sync and it says backing up, just click the X on the right hand side of the top status box and it will stop backing up and just sync, speeds things up a lot. Clean method, download a program for your PC called "BackOff" from Transfer iPod, iPhone & iPad Music, Pictures and Files to Computer, search for it on the site, it will let you turn off backup and let you just sync, just remember to allow backup at least once a week, or you will regret it.:)

JTravers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Goodreader has recently added sync to it feature set.
I don't have enough posts to include links in my posts yet, but just go to goodreader.net, click on Goodreader, and then click Update History for more info.

New_here32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JTravers said:
Goodreader has recently added sync to it feature set.
I don't have enough posts to include links in my posts yet, but just go to goodreader.net, click on Goodreader, and then click Update History for more info.

Cool. Will do.

OP
N

ned273

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Syncing iPad with Dropbox

Thank you JJTravers! Good reader does have this functionality. It wasn't apparent to me at first. Thank you for referring me to manual. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Most reactions