What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing first time.

OneMarcil

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have IPAD that is not new. But, since I have never synced this iPad to this computer I am given two options.

1. Set up as new iPad.
2. Restore from back of my iPhone 4.

Do not want to restore from iPhone backup.

If I choose set up as new iPad will everything on the iPad be erased?

When I hit the APPS tab on iTunes I do. It see any listed. But the applications are on my iPad.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Do neither. Instead go to the Files menu, sub-menu Devices, and Choose Transfer Purchases.

This should associate the iPad with iTunes and let you do backups. Be sure to go through all sync settings carefully, especially the Application settings. It has a tendency try and install all apps stored in iTunes onto your iPad.

The best option, if you intend to sync, is to turn everything off, then do each section individually. That minimizes the damage if you make a mistake.

Jim Kraz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Set new library in iTunes then it will not associate with your iPhone, call it iPad, then you will not mix them up, double click iTunes icon while holding down shift on PC, you select to make new library.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If both devices use the same Apple ID, there is no reason to create separate libraries for them. iTunes will remember the individual sync settings for each device. Well, usually. There are occational glitches. Ironically, the glitches are more likely to happen and more extreme if you rarely use iTunes to sync.

Most reactions