What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sync with Outlook?

kbuggeln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been able to sync contacts but not the calendar? I believe I have checked all the right boxes. Any ideas?

john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
kbuggeln, did you follow the walk through I wrote in the link above? Also, I think a better description of your problem would help. Your contacts, from what, are syncing, to what? What are you using, google calendars? Are your Google calendar items not syncing to your outlook?

Are there any ical or webDAV calendars involved? More information would help, also walk through the instructions I posted above your reply.

Road Warrior

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.nomadz.net
Try using Google as the Glue

I think you should follow John's advice and see if you can use Google as the intermediary middle-man.

The trouble with Outlook is that it doesn't play nice with much else besides Exchange Server (which you are not using - that's what everyone else in this forum means when they refer to OWA and syncing over the air).

If it's not too painful, I would recommend that you find a way to get all of your email, contacts and calendar info into Google. Then, you can use Outlook as the front end to your Google account, if you so wish. I'm sure that someone has made the software to do this, if Google doesn't offer it themselves.

Google has all the same functionality as Outlook (Calendar, email, contacts) and more. Plus, it's very good at syncing with other systems. Not only will you be able to sync to Outlook (I believe) but you'll be able to sync to iCal, the Apple Address book, and MobileMe (if you want).

Then, if you want to change mail clients in the future (away from Outlook), you won't have to start over again... because everything will be in Google.

OP
D

driller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google has all the same functionality as Outlook (Calendar, email, contacts) and more. Plus, it's very good at syncing with other systems. Not only will you be able to sync to Outlook (I believe) but you'll be able to sync to iCal, the Apple Address book, and MobileMe (if you want).

The calendar and contacts is one thing, but what about notes and tasks from Outlook? MobileMe doesn't, does Google?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
:D
I have Outlook at the office and have it synced with my iPhone and iPad. I didn't have to do anything other than put in the Outlook Web Access (OWA) address, Corporate domain, username and password. I get email, calendar and contacts.

Yeah, if you use Exchange server for your outlook mail then it works outstanding for calendar, contacts and mail syncing. All automatic and over-the-air. Yea um, Microsoft

kbuggeln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the attempts at help

But I have no idea what anyone is talking about. LOL. I am the turn it on and it had better work type user. BUT you have given me lots of info to turn over to my local computer geek to fix my problem. Just wanted to say thanks to all.

jashsf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
outlook without exchange on a pc does not synch with ipad

hey there,

same problem. i think it's a wonderful way to sell more mobileme licenses. half joking.

i can't get this to work either. an hour and a half on the phone with apple didn't help either.

DadOZach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is an easy way to move Gmail contacts into your iPad email app. The concept should work for Outlook, too. The important step is #5.

1. Get into Gmail
2. Click on the Contacts link (left-hand side of screen)
3. Click on the Export link (upper right-hand corner of screen)
4. Choose who you want to export from the drop-down menu.
5. Select vCard (for importing into Apple Address Book)
6. Save the file to your local Hard Drive
7. Send yourself an email with the vCard file attached
8. Open the email on your iPad
9. Click on the attached file and you will be presented with the option to import all the contacts.

Pluto5680

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't sync Outlook 2007 from my home computer, after checking and unchecking everything possible. I called Apple IPAD support, and was told that I need two .dll files from a 3rd party, libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll. Since I don't feel comfortable messing with the registry, have not tried. My contacts sync fine, but not calendar. Going through 2 or three programs just to get this is not feasible, so I use Yahoo calendar to sync, and pull up Yahoo calendar in Safari or use my Blackberry, which syncs very easily. It would be nice to have a simple straight forward way to do this without MobileMe, or Exchange, which I don't have.

Last edited:

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know what your are doing wrong but iPad and iPhone both sync perfect. I used to sync with Microsoft Exchange on my last job with no problem withnmy iPhone. As a matter of fact it sets up a whole lot easier than Blackberry.....

All you do is when the iPad is plugged in, just hit the "info" tab and click the things you want synced..... Pretty simple....

I feel so dumb. I should have known this. I plugged the IPad back in and sure enough under SYNC there were the unticked options for calender etc. I'm a happy camper now.

sdherold

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Synching computer-based Outlook mail with iPad

The answer here is simple: There is NO way to synchronize computer-based Outlook mail with the iPad. Note iTunes specifically says it synchronizes account settings but not messages. I asked Apple Help about why Mobileme doesn't do what I was told it would do; and they recommended I return it to the store and ask for a refund (even after the refund period). Good luck.
As far as I can tell, mail2web, which could have been the answer, leaves me unable to read mail or use my iPad contacts and calendar unless I'm on line.
My solution has been to still use Mobileme to wirelessly synch calendar and contacts and to forward my Comcast email to my .me address. I can't apply my Outlook filters, but I can monitor incoming mail. Each time I go to my computer, I just delete all the emails that have come into my .me address. It's a pain, but it has taught me to lower my expectations.

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone had success syncing their iPad with Outlook 2007?

I have tried iTunes/Info and thought I could at least sync contacts, calendar and notes - but it does nothing. :(

I have resorted to using mobile.me for the contacts and calendar functions, but it would be uber-cool to sync my notes and tasks from outlook as well.

Is there another app that could be used? I've searched and only found separate PIM apps.

Is there a workaround I could apply?

I thought I'd replied to this but aparrently not. I was having the same problem. However once I ticked the boxes under preferences, there was not problem. My iPhone 4, iPad and laptop all have the same contacts sync with outlook no prblem at all. As for the mail issue, a clever friend set me up routing through Gmail. Now all 3 devices share live upodating of mail, so I'm sweet! I hope this helps

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that when I read or delete mail etc, The gmail sync's itself with outlook. It's just a bit slower but brilliant and much better than mobile me in my opinion. and what's more it FREE!!!!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts