What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sync two Ipads

atenzionefilms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Is there any way or any app that allows you to synchronize two ipads and lets you send any file from one device to the other and vice versa?

I would also be interested in sending ICal notes and events ,

Thanks to you all !!!!

leey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, you just can sync the iPad to iTunes and treansfer the convtents you want to iTunes library, then sync the contents to another iPad.

Johan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.johanfoto.com
It may not be that easy. Synching both to iTunes will sync apps and music, but it won't sync documents your stored with those apps. Depending on the kind of app, synching documents may be easy (if the app supports USB synching) or very difficult (if the app doesn't support any kind of synching at all).

ICal synching is a breeze if you have a MobileMe account.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to share documents, you can set up an account on one of the free "cloud" servers like DropBox. There is also MobileMe from Apple, but it is not free.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is not an option at this time, sorry. It might be possible if your jailbreak, but since mine isn't, I can't answer that question.

Johan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.johanfoto.com
If you want to share documents, you can set up an account on one of the free "cloud" servers like DropBox. There is also MobileMe from Apple, but it is not free.

Again, that's only possible if the app supports it. Contrary to a 'normal' computer, the iPad doesn't have a file system that is available to the apps. So the apps have to use their own version of a file system. If the developer chose not to support synching (because he didn't think there was any need for it), options like DropBox won't help you either.

OperatorX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know how many times this needs to be repeated: Only if the app supports that. If an app does not support synching, that's not going to work for any documents created with that app.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. I use Good Reader to sync docs between the ipad and Google Docs (which is free). Good Reader gives you the option to open the docs in Good Reader, or other compatible apps installed on the iPad. So, and Excel file can be open in Good Reader, or Pages. Same for Word or PDF docs. So, you are not just limited to Good Reader for accessing docs.

Johan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.johanfoto.com
I don't know how many times this needs to be repeated: Only if the app supports that. If an app does not support synching, that's not going to work for any documents created with that app.

Not necessarily. I use Good Reader to sync docs between the ipad and Google Docs (which is free). Good Reader gives you the option to open the docs in Good Reader, or other compatible apps installed on the iPad. So, and Excel file can be open in Good Reader, or Pages. Same for Word or PDF docs. So, you are not just limited to Good Reader for accessing docs.

Sigh. What do you think 'if the app supports synching' means? It means exactly what you call 'compatible apps'. Yes, you can sync Word, Excel, PDF, TEXT and some other document formats between certain apps such as Pages, GoodReader, DocsToGo, etcetera, but there are also quite a number of apps that use their own document format and/or do not support synching. An app could even use a common file format such as PDF and still not support synching. In that case GoodReader cannot exchange files with that app, even though it reads PDF files. That is due to the way the iPad file system works. The iPad does not have a general file system that is available to all apps. If the app uses its own folder for storing files, GoodReader (or any other compatible app) can't see it at all.

Let me give you one example: WebOffline is an app you can use to store an entire website locally on your iPad, so you can view it even without an internet connection. A website consists of text (html) files and images (jpeg). Both can be read by GoodReader, but GoodReader simply does not know anything about any stored website in WebOffline. For the same reason, GoodReader also can't send any file to WebOffline.

That means you can not -at least not completely- sync two iPads this way.

Most reactions

Latest posts