What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sync confusion

benjones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

I use syncing for so many things, from email to outlook & you know what? It makes sense. I can find things on both the device and also the computer.

iPad syncing is really confusing.

Please point me in the right direction.

What does iPad syncing sync?
What is exlcuded?

What about Apps?
What about data files for apps?

Please advise.

TIA

B.J.
:ipad-case:

Stephen777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it is extremely confusing. I've been there. Usually you can choose what you want to sync off of, or to your iPad. (including music, videos, apps, books, etc.) just click on your iPad on iTunes and go to what you want to sync on the tabs.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only syncing is done through iTunes : ( if you want the real over the air syncing you'll have to have a mobile me account then you'll get the real deal syncing

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can also sync with some Google services like calendars and contacts.

There are basically four types of syncing (that I can think of at the moment).

iTunes, a huge selection of options to sync with iTunes media and various computer programs and or files. The best way to understand this is to hook up your device to the computer and explore the various options. However, implement them cautiously. If you already have content you are syncing one way, changing things can change more than you want. This is especially true of the options under the Info tab.

Accounts on the iPad. The MobileMe account has the most options, other services like Google, Yahoo, and AOL offer a fewer sync options. Beyond basic mail services you can expect one or more of these: calendars, contacts, notes.

MobileMe, has a lot of syncing options, however many of them are of limited value unless you also own an Apple computer. While the me.com site is nice enough, it is not any better (other than good looking) than Googles offerings. It comes into it's own however when syncing multiple Apple devices and computers.

Third party apps. Task managers, file storage, notes, and more; there are a host of apps out there that will let you sync through he cloud with just about any device or computer you could possible own. It's the newest and craziest of the options, so new services and apps are popping up every week.

Most reactions

Latest posts