What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Really confused re syncing. Have Parkinsons, need clear directions

ekbg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I have an IPad 4, and an IPod.
Problems:
1. Want on IPad calendar, outlook contacts, emails, browser bookmarks, books, apps, and some music, photos.
2. Want on IPod just music.
3. When I sync does it sync from Ipad to computer or computer to Ipad and same with IPod? Can I set this so it will do what I want?
4. How do I delete all the stuff on my IPod, so it just syncs music and not all the apps and other stuff from the IPad?
5. I am so confused, I'm becoming scared to do anything re syncing. I don't cloud as I found I was doubling and tripling on things, so prefer to stick the plug in with both.
6. When I type "itunes" into the bottom of the computer near start where it says search I get a zillion files - no kidding! How do I clean this up.
Thank you if you can help me :)
Belinda

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
welcome to the forum hopefully people with ipod can help you right away because i only own ipad and to sync to pc its so easy and you dont need to be afraid because whenever you try to sync the idevice from to pc the itunes will always give pop up explanation after you click the sync button you just need to read it :ipad-movie:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can keep the iPod and the iPad separate from each other using iTunes.

First, lets get you set up so that iTunes is easily accessible. See this picture of what I get when I search for iTunes (in that space by the Start button:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360424405.436329.jpg

I've ID'd the icon you want to use. If you wish to have it always available, right click on that icon and select the line "Pin to Start Menu." Then, whenever you press the start button and get that list, iTunes should be among the program immediately available.

Go ahead and open iTunes on your PC (click on that icon). I am assuming you have the most current version of iTunes (version 11.1). If you don't, please holler back and we'll help you get it. For now, this is written as if you have the most current iTunes...

Now, connect your iPod to iTunes. You should see it show up in the upper right hand side of the iTunes view page, like this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360424699.184642.jpg

I don't have an iPod, so I had to use my iPhone - the principle's the same.

After the iPod appears in iTunes, click on that button. You will then get a screen that looks like this across the top:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360424775.581779.jpg

From there, press on every tab (Info, Apps, etc) and ensure everything is unchecked - EXCEPT the Music tab. That is the tab to control what music goes on your iPod. You will need to check all the music you want to add to the iPod.

After you have unchecked everything but music and you have selected the music you want to put/keep on the iPod, press the "Apply" button in the lower right hand corner of iTunes. Then, iTunes will do it's "magic" and put things on/off the iPod.

Lastly - iTunes will remember the settings for your iPad and your iPod separately. So, whatever you do to the iPod in iTunes will not affect the iPad and vice versa. iTunes is able to remember which device is which.

Hope some of this helps. Please let us know if you have more questions.

Marilyn

OP
E

ekbg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn,
Thanks for that. How do you take a photo of your screen - that's clever?
Yes am using the right ITunes and will try with ipod in a minute and let you know how I go.
Another problem is I seem to have so many ITune files on my computer it's driving me nuts.
Am I best to uninstall all the ITunes and reinstall just one? I think a well meaning friend a few weeks ago trying to help me put on another ITunes thinking one for the ipad and one for the ipod, and now I have so many files and duplicates on my computer I don't know if I'm coming or going.
But do have my music write which are all CD's that I imported to ITunes. So....if I uninstalled all itunes on my computer, then reinstalled, would all my stuff including my CD's imported to ITunes still be there orwould I lose stuff?
Will do IPod know before I contemplate that and await your reply?
I did also last night sync Ipad and some of my addresses went missing from my contacts but they aren't on my computer outlook contacts either.....oh dear! I'm a mess.....It's worrying me, and the ipod is what I want to use all the time as it is light and easy to use in bed where I spend most of my time.
To IPod, then I'll check back.
Thanks,
Belinda

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Belinda,

Welcome to the forums.

I'm sure someone will advise you about links to discussion groups, the rules etc. all of which are handy for reference.

I won't talk about syncing. I haven't synced anything for a long time and seem to get along OK. I don't use my iPad and iPod as widely as some theirs as it doesn't fully suit my lifestyle.

I keep my iPod for my music collection and to quickly deal with emails if I can find wifi links on my travels. As you say, the iPod is so portable.

You were asking how do we take screen shots. All you need to do is press the power on/off button (top right/left of device) and the main button at the bottom centre of the device together. The image is stored directly to the camera roll.

HTH

Richard

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
E

ekbg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, have I done something wrong? I'm not sure what, so if someone could explain, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks muchly,
Belinda :)

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ekbg said:
Sorry, have I done something wrong? I'm not sure what, so if someone could explain, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks muchly,
Belinda :)

Hi Belinda,

What's happened? Have you tried syncing?

Could you tell us more, so that someone can help.

Cheers

Richard

Footnote: Just in case you haven't seen these, follow this link to help pages on the Apple website. Here you should find what you need:
http://support.apple.com/kb/index?p..._suggested.search&locale=en_US&q=syncing help

Last edited:
OP
E

ekbg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
Hi Belinda,

What's happened? Have you tried syncing?

Could you tell us more, so that someone can help.

Cheers

Richard

Footnote: Just in case you haven't seen these, follow this link to help pages on the Apple website. Here you should find what you need:
http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&src=support_site.home.search_suggested.search&locale=en_US&q=syncing%20help

ThanksRichard,
Well from your prior post I thought I had done something wrong on this site. No one has explained how it works. Be kind, remember I have PD and confuse easily.
If I were to uninstall iTunes from my laptop, then reinstall it, would my music (bought and put on by cd rom) and apps etc all still be there.
If on my laptop I go to start, and search iTunes I have 1000s of files. Scared to delete any as I don't know what the ext mean. Just wanting to tidy it up and when I try to sync my iPad it says wrong iTunes even though updated version.
Sorry to be a pain but thank you for your kindness
Belinda

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ekbg said:
ThanksRichard,
Well from your prior post I thought I had done something wrong on this site. No one has explained how it works. Be kind, remember I have PD and confuse easily.
If I were to uninstall iTunes from my laptop, then reinstall it, would my music (bought and put on by cd rom) and apps etc all still be there.
If on my laptop I go to start, and search iTunes I have 1000s of files. Scared to delete any as I don't know what the ext mean. Just wanting to tidy it up and when I try to sync my iPad it says wrong iTunes even though updated version.
Belinda

Hi Belinda,

I'm sorry if I caused some confusion. I wondered whether I may have, it wasn't intended.

I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes.

However, I believe you will not lose your music. You have bought it, and you can reload as many of your purchases as you wish.

I hope a couple of other members of the forum, who are expert in iTunes and keeping or modifying music collections will latch on to our discussion. I am certain they can help.

Thanks for your patience.

Cheers

Richard.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ThanksRichard,
Belinda

Hi, Belinda:

What operating system is your laptop (Windows 7, Vista, XP)? And, how are you accessing this forum - are you on your laptop and viewing it via the Web? Or, are you using the official app on your iPad (the app from the App Store)? We can give more specific (to you) instructions once we know what programs and devices you are using...

When you say "it says wrong iTunes" - could you give us all of what the error notice says; the entire phrase?

Lastly, can you list some of the extensions that are showing for all those iTunes files you are seeing when you search? Oh, and what is the search term you are using in that search window - are you just typing "iTunes"?

And, from your post before, I made screen shots of my desktop computer. I have a button on my keyboard that's labeled "PrtScrn" (hopefully, the keyboard on your laptop also has this button). Then, I uploaded the picture to this forum to add to my post. If we need to do this to help you - I'll give more detailed instructions, later. Suits?

Hang in there! We'll get this sorted. :)

Marilyn

OP
E

ekbg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tOOK HOURS AND HOURS TO DO THIS.....WILL FINISH A TO e SHORTLY.
1. Mysincere apologies for not returning earlier - being at doctors, tests, in bed,etc and unable to manage this.

2. Using forum right now on Dell laptop Windows7 (which once I do one major cookbook project) I no longer will want, so tryingto do things on I Pad as easier medically. Also access it via IPad appdownloaded from store.

3. Screen copy of itunes as it comes up. Can’tget it to come up with wrong type. Will try with ipod shortly.

4.Click Start on Laptop, then search “itunes” this is firstly what I see.

5. As you can see (soooo many files) manyobviously repeated. Now for the extensions.
Clicked on Documents as above:
Itunes/itunes/media/media/books - several of
Itunes/media/artwork/cache
ITC2 files heaps
IOS APPS
Macro Enabled ??? with a friend of my hubby’swho never used my doodah
Overdrive x 2
Quicktime Pref x 3
Keep getting itunes/itunes/itunes/itunes
TMP Files x 4
Text Docs x 2
XML Doc x 3 (1 in Oct last year, 2 same datethis year same kb, last year less kb)

UNDER MUSIC
MPEG-4 Media Files
Quick time preferences x 5
File Folder - heaps of
IC2T File - Zillions of
EPUB
IOS App
Adobe Acrobate File ??
Compressed Zip ??
IBooks
ODM
I tunes data base file
XML

OTHER:
Xsn
Xslt
Xsl style sheet
Xsd
Xml doc
Windows Media file / player / video / etc
Xdc
X3d
Wmf
Windows Installer Patch and Package
Windows Command Script
BMP
Windows Batch File
WIDI
WAVE
VP
VNI
VCARD
VB SCRIPT
VARFILE
VTF8
UKR
UDT
TVP
TUR
TGA IMAGE
TRUE TYPE FONT
TLP
TIFF IMAGE
THS
THM
Text Doc
System File
Sy_file
Sve
Suo
Sts
Strings
Spm
Slv
Sky
Skin
Sivc
Sig
Set up
Security log
Set
Security certificate
Sdi
Saved file
Rus
Rum
Rtf
Rgs
Resources file
Res file
Registration entries
Re2js
Rdf
Quicktime resources and references,preferences, image
Qm
Pyd
Ptb
Properties
Prop
Prc
Pol
Poc
Png
Outlook files
OEM
Nvx
Nvi
Nor
Nld
N5m
Mbv
Mui
Mst
Microsoft Office Word (don’t use on IPad)
Mpeg4
Excel (don’t use on Ipad)
Microsoft help (don’t use on Ipad)
Map
Manifest
Man
Lth
Lrc
Loc
Lng
List
Lgg
Kor
Kcc
Kc
Jwp
Jscript file
Jpg
Jpeg (seems to have all files and photos fromlappie, but not all showing on lappie and don’t want them too)
Itxib
I tunes data base file (heaps)
ITS
ITHMB
ITC2
Italian file ???
ITA
ISS
ISN
IOS
INX
INTERNET SHORTCUT
INS
INC
ILG
IDX
ID
ICXS
ICON
ICC PROFILE
IBT
IBOOKS
HYPE
HUN
HTLM
HSP
HRV
HDR
GZ
GRD
GIF IMAGE
FORMS FILE
FILE FOLDER
FILE
FCA
EXECUTABLE JAR FILE
EX_FILE
EUQ
ESP
EPUB
EPI
ENC
DSTX
DVP
DTC
DM_SL
DL­­ FILE
DAT
DAN
CZE
CTS
CRX
COMPILED HELP FILE
CNV
CLX

OP
E

ekbg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. Mysincere apologies for not returning earlier - being at doctors, tests, in bed,etc and unable to manage this.

2. Using forum right now on Dell laptop Windows7 (which once I do one major cookbook project) I no longer will want, so tryingto do things on I Pad as easier medically. Also access it via IPad appdownloaded from store.

3. Screen copy of itunes as it comes up. Can’tget it to come up with wrong type. Will try with ipod shortly.

4.Click Start on Laptop, then search “itunes†this is firstly what I see.

5. As you can see (soooo many files) manyobviously repeated. Now for the extensions.
Clicked on Documents as above:
Itunes/itunes/media/media/books - several of
Itunes/media/artwork/cache
ITC2 files heaps
IOS APPS
Macro Enabled ??? with a friend of my hubby’swho never used my doodah
Overdrive x 2
Quicktime Pref x 3
Keep getting itunes/itunes/itunes/itunes
TMP Files x 4
Text Docs x 2
XML Doc x 3 (1 in Oct last year, 2 same datethis year same kb, last year less kb)

UNDER MUSIC
MPEG-4 Media Files
Quick time preferences x 5
File Folder - heaps of
IC2T File - Zillions of
EPUB
IOS App
Adobe Acrobate File ??
Compressed Zip ??
IBooks
ODM
I tunes data base file
XML

OTHER:
Xsn
Xslt
Xsl style sheet
Xsd
Xml doc
Windows Media file / player / video / etc
Xdc
X3d
Wmf
Windows Installer Patch and Package
Windows Command Script
BMP
Windows Batch File
WIDI
WAVE
VP
VNI
VCARD
VB SCRIPT
VARFILE
VTF8
UKR
UDT
TVP
TUR
TGA IMAGE
TRUE TYPE FONT
TLP
TIFF IMAGE
THS
THM
Text Doc
System File
Sy_file
Sve
Suo
Sts
Strings
Spm
Slv
Sky
Skin
Sivc
Sig
Set up
Security log
Set
Security certificate
Sdi
Saved file
Rus
Rum
Rtf
Rgs
Resources file
Res file
Registration entries
Re2js
Rdf
Quicktime resources and references,preferences, image
Qm
Pyd
Ptb
Properties
Prop
Prc
Pol
Poc
Png
Outlook files
OEM
Nvx
Nvi
Nor
Nld
N5m
Mbv
Mui
Mst
Microsoft Office Word (don’t use on IPad)
Mpeg4
Excel (don’t use on Ipad)
Microsoft help (don’t use on Ipad)
Map
Manifest
Man
Lth
Lrc
Loc
Lng
List
Lgg
Kor
Kcc
Kc
Jwp
Jscript file
Jpg
Jpeg (seems to have all files and photos fromlappie, but not all showing on lappie and don’t want them too)
Itxib
I tunes data base file (heaps)
ITS
ITHMB
ITC2
Italian file ???
ITA
ISS
ISN
IOS
INX
INTERNET SHORTCUT
INS
INC
ILG
IDX
ID
ICXS
ICON
ICC PROFILE
IBT
IBOOKS
HYPE
HUN
HTLM
HSP
HRV
HDR
GZ
GRD
GIF IMAGE
FORMS FILE
FILE FOLDER
FILE
FCA
EXECUTABLE JAR FILE
EX_FILE
EUQ
ESP
EPUB
EPI
ENC
DSTX
DVP
DTC
DM_SL
DL­­ FILE
DAT
DAN
CZE
CTS
CRX
COMPILED HELP FILE
CNV
CLX
Class
Cht
Chs
Cfg
Certification Revocation List
Cascading Styling Sheet Doc
Cabinet file
Bz2
BIN
Bi­_
Bev
Ax
Aui
ASFX
APPLICATION EXTENSION (ALL DLL.)
APPLICATION
APPLICATION SYNC INFO
API
ANNOT
ADOBE CONTENT SERVER
ADOBE ACROBAT DOC
ACTIVE X CONTROL
ACCFL

Good luck, so hope someone can help me.
Thanks,
Belinda.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Belinda,

I hope things went positively for you at the doctors. It must be so frustrating living with PD. I can only try to appreciate what you are going through.

Thank you for your 2 posts which list the various file types, and your operating system.

I scanned the lists, and the file types look OK.

Now, the FIRST thing you must do is to back up all of your data on a separate drive. I don't know whether you back up your data.

I use a special programme which automatically backs up my data once a week.

I back up my data to a hard drive machine which is separate from by computer.

I have to connect the drive to one of the computer's USB ports so that the files can be copied from the computer.

I cannot emphasise how important it is to have your files backed up. If disaster should strike and you lose stuff from your computer, you will have a copy of your files.

Now, you should be ready to sort out what you want to sync to your iPad.
I will hand over to Marilyn for this, as she is far more experienced that I am.

By the way, do you have contact with a trusted family friend who is a computer wizz, or a good IT technician who can help you if things get too difficult.

We can try and help you as much as possible, but you may find that there are certain bits which we cannot help you with online.

I hope this will be of some help and encouragement.

Regards

Richard

Most reactions

Latest posts